Dog scent keeping predators at bay?

Goose1026

In the Brooder
May 31, 2023
Madison, WI
Hello everyone,

We've recently moved into a new property (FEB 2023), and have relocated our flock to the new property. The previous owners stated having many problems with predators killing chickens (12 just last year). We took care of a couple raccoons the first week living here, but no regular sightings of predators.

The only thing that comes to mind as to why we aren't experiencing the same problems, is the fact that our dogs (German and Australian Shepard) are very friendly with the chickens walking around with them while they free range, and constantly walking around their coop. We have the run and coup pretty well animal proofed, and I have cameras on the coup.

I'm surprised I haven't seen animals on camera probing the coop or even signs of them walking around it. Do you think it's because of the constant dog presence, or have we just lucked out so far?

I don't think it is the scent repelling them, but rather the predators know there are dogs around.
Most likely, the predators will work out what times are safe over time, and then as soon as your dogs aren't there, they will attack.
A least that is what has happened here with foxes.

I don't think it is the scent repelling them, but rather the predators know there are dogs around.
Most likely, the predators will work out what times are safe over time, and then as soon as your dogs aren't there, they will attack.
A least that is what has happened here with foxes.
That makes sense too. Hopefully our multi-faceted predator defense system holds true!

I've got 3 large dogs roaming the fence line. Usually keep the sliding glass door open enough from them to get outside ASAP, even when we're not home. This works well during the spring or fall, but when it's AC or heating weather, the door is closed and they are inside. It's during these times when I see more predators roaming the fence.

Back
Top Bottom