Dominant chicken won't lay

Broodmama87

Hatching
May 20, 2020
So my chickens are about 22 weeks old now. All of them are laying eggs except for my big beautiful dominant one (Daisy). She does the squat thing when you go to pet her, just like the others. But I never see her roaming around the nesting box. I'm afraid she is turning into a he, which I've read can happen when there's no rooster around. She's a buff orpington and her comb is much bigger and redder than my other buff orpington (who is laying). I'm worried maybe her hormones are off or something. Is it too soon to worry about this? I've read it can take longer than 22 weeks to start laying. Is she maybe just a late layer?
TIA

I'm in a similar situation.

Our Barred Rock laid two normal eggs at 20 weeks, then a soft-shelled egg, and then stopped laying and that was 3 weeks ago. She seems to do an egg song when the other hens (who aren't laying yet) go into the coop and check out the nests. But I haven't seen her back in the nest since she laid those first 3 eggs.

So my chickens are about 22 weeks old now. All of them are laying eggs except for my big beautiful dominant one (Daisy). She does the squat thing when you go to pet her, just like the others. But I never see her roaming around the nesting box. I'm afraid she is turning into a he, which I've read can happen when there's no rooster around. She's a buff orpington and her comb is much bigger and redder than my other buff orpington (who is laying). I'm worried maybe her hormones are off or something. Is it too soon to worry about this? I've read it can take longer than 22 weeks to start laying. Is she maybe just a late layer?
TIA
I wouldn't consider a 22 week old pullet a late layer. I've had some not start until after 30 weeks of age. They all start when they are ready whether or not you have a male.

Back
Top Bottom