Dominant Mean Guinea

swampducks

Overrun With Guineas
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
Barton City, MI
I've about decided that evil MR Guinea has to "go" even if he is a pretty lavender one. He attacks anyone he doesn't like including my hens, other male guineas (don't know about the females as no one is yacking while running away) and my only white guinea whom I named Killer when he was the only survivor of the white ones when they arrived at the PO last year.

In fact he has it in so badly for Killer that last night he chased him into the coop and really wailed on him. Killer is definitely at the bottom of the totem pole.

SO he has to "go" and DH is quite willing to do the job. My question is actually from DH. Should he wack him in front of the others? ( DH just gave me a demo of Killer's reaction (YAY!!!! and fist pumping in the air) or is that traumatic for the birds to see? Or is that just anthropomorphizing?

hmm.png

I think Killer needs a new name, too.

Are you going to eat him? I ask because, everyone around here always asks me that question. BYC'ers say they are good.

I have no advice on how/where to kill him.

Yes, we're going to eat him, fricasseed. It's a moot point now, DH did the deed away from the coop but plucked him in front of the bird who I was free ranging at that point. The other guineas didn't seem to notice but some of the harassed hens came over to watch. They were the ones probably punching their fists into the air.
wink.png

They are very tasty. DH likes them better than chicken.

Thanks for replying.

What did it taste like? I keep hearing they are so good.. was given a pair last year and the hen hatched out keets on her own last week. Think I'll try butchering and eating at least one of them when old enough.

It's common for either a few or whole flock of guineas to be 'mean'. Many owners end up giving them all away(and swearing off them forever..).

Thankfully the male isn't TOO mean.. he does like to charge at the roosters and on some days for whatever reason(if any) he decides the tom turkey needs serious harassing. He insists on him running.. if he doesn't run fast enough he actually goes for ahem, his butt and bites. Seriously, he latches on and gets dragged for a little bit..

I'd love to see a video of your guinea latched on to your tom, lol!

As to taste, DH says sort of like chicken dark meat. I can't really say, they sure don't have as much meat on them as chickens. I think that's why Miss Prissy raises the big French Pearl guineas. More meat.

Yes, the French Guineas are the meat birds. My male was the sweetest bird-he chased the chickens until they all had to live together in the coop over the winter. We hand raised the guineas so they are very friendly and we can pick they up and carry them around just like chickens. Dark meat like chicken or mild duck.

Last edited:
I tried to take the heads off my last 2 in the fall. They had chased my poor 16 year old pussycat. They then jumped up on the porchrail and wanted to challenge me. I grabbed the axe but they flew off before I could get them.

Needless to say they went off the to be with some other family after that!

Back
Top Bottom