donkey question

boykin2010

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 26, 2010
South Georgia
HI. I am getting donkeys sometime soon probably in early may. I have some questions but first let me tell you my situation. I fenced in about 4 acres behind my house and i am getting Katahdin sheep in late february and March. I am wanting a donkey for a livestock guardian. A lot of donkeys i have found for sale either were WAY too expensive or they were cheap but you couldnt even touch them because they were so skiddish. I have a 10 year old sister and she is really wanting to get the donkey and she is going to pay for it with "her money " Anyway my family and i want to get a donkey that we arent scared of and we arent scared to be around. We found a guy that has 2 gelded male donkeys for sale. He says they are best friends and we cant just buy one because they would be heartbroken if seperated. He also said they are very very sweet. ( they are also a standard donkey )
So my question is Is it bad to keep 2 donkeys together if i want to use one for a livestock guardian? Will donkeys be lonely if kept by themselves? I have read some pages on the internet that said if you get 2 donkeys they wont feel the urge to protect livestock. is this true?
Any help is appreciated.

One will be more protective than two because the bond with each other insread of with the sheep. Depending on the donkeys, they might be ok as a pair. If you have other animals in with them, they won't be lonely.
Male llamas make good guardian animals for sheep too.

Not much help, but I haven't had any donkeys in over 10 years.
idunno.gif

Id like to have a llama but there is none for sale. Although there are tons of donkeys for sale here, they arent very tame. The only really tame ones i have found was that pair and i dont know what to do. He said he wants 250$ for the pair....

Back
Top Bottom