Doo kashi or sweet coop?

Good Idea!
Take pics all around inside and out, showing cleared floor and vents and all of it.
Might be good to start a new thread, titled something like "assess my coop", to gather opinions and ideas.
Oh thank you! I will try to do this by the weekend. Still confused about the differences between PDZ fresh coop, sweet coop and doo kashi! :) Looking forward to figuring this out. I appreciate your feedback very much!

Still confused about the differences between PDZ fresh coop, sweet coop and doo kashi!
PDZ Fresh Coop is the mineral zeolite that absorbs ammonia.
Best to buy the horse stall refresher bags of 25# or 40#,
it's much less expensive and is the same exact thing.
It comes in powder and granules, the granules are much less dusty.

Sweet Coop is also zeolite, marketed by that chicken chick.

Doo Kashi is snake oil IMO.
"DooKashi is a litter additive that is designed to eliminate litter box odors and reduce harmful pathogens at the microbial level. Made from natural ingredients (wheat bran, probiotics, blackstrap molasses and purified water,)"

"DooKashi is a litter additive that is designed to eliminate litter box odors and reduce harmful pathogens at the microbial level. Made from natural ingredients (wheat bran, probiotics, blackstrap molasses and purified water,)"
Interesting …

So … snake oil?! Also interesting. The woman who promotes it, swears by it, but I guess the chicken chick also swears by her product. I just want to provide a healthy environment for my chicks in the simplest of ways without falling for any gimmicks. (And newbies like me are so vulnerable!!)

Good thing I love researching! 😄

Thank you!!

Another question: does PRZ or zeolite have any negative effects on the deep litter method?

IMO both are overpriced and not necessary for a good deep litter.
Are you looking for odor control or do you want to make garden soil?
Is your coop floor wooden or dirt?

@3KillerBs has a pretty good write up on deep litter and deep bedding.

Thanks for the mention. Here's the article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

I second what @aart said about ammonia. Top-level ventilation is key -- remembering that heat and ammonia both rise.

Thanks for the mention. Here's the article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

I second what @aart said about ammonia. Top-level ventilation is key -- remembering that heat and ammonia both rise.
Thank you! This week I will be posting photos of the coop (which is about 13’x10’) for feedback … even with 12 chicks to be residing there, I think I need more ventilation per the 1 sq ft ventilation per chick formula.

Thank you! This week I will be posting photos of the coop (which is about 13’x10’) for feedback … even with 12 chicks to be residing there, I think I need more ventilation per the 1 sq ft ventilation per chick formula.

Some of us do -- Here in the Steamy Southeast of the USA I find that I often need 2-3 times the recommended ventilation just to keep the coop under 100F on a 90F day.

I’m in Mass
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1646828599474.png

doo kashi looks like it's bokashi - aka activated microbes, which are great for composts and do help things break down faster. perhaps they just needed to make a name that they could trademark and market to a different niche.

Back
Top Bottom