Douglas County, CO - Proposed Zoning Amendment!

laurabonitahopkins

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2011
Littleton, CO
I just found out that in Douglas County, Colorado, where previously you had to have 2.3 acres to have any chickens in most parts of the county, is planning to revise their zoning to make 4 hens OK for any size property! Here is the info in case anyone is interested in attending the public hearing...

Hurray - my girls hopefully won't be outlaws for much longer!
smile.png

Request for Review:

Section 24, Animals
Section 36, Definitions

Once comments have been received and reviewed, the proposed revisions will be modified as appropriate and a formal recommendation will be prepared for the Planning Commission. The public hearing before the Planning Commission is tentatively scheduled for March 26, 2012, at 7:00 p.m. and the public hearing before the Board of County Commissioners is tentatively scheduled for April 24, 2012, at 2:30 p.m. Notice will be provided in the newspaper 14 days prior to the hearings. A public workshop to review the proposed revisions is scheduled for February 1, 2012, at 4:00p.m. in the Community Planning and Sustainable Development Offices, Suite 220, 100 Third Street, Castle Rock, CO 80104. Please contact me at 303-660-7460 or [email protected] if you plan to attend the workshop.

Synopsis of Proposed Amendments:
The full text of the proposed amendments can be obtained by contacting this office, or by accessing the Douglas County website at:
http://www.douglas.co.us/planning/Whats_New_-_Hot_Topics.html

The proposal is summarized as follows:

· The revision includes changing sections of the DCZR to allow female chickens to be kept as household pets by the occupant of a residential unit and to clarify that pot-bellied pigs are already allowed to be kept as household pets.

Here's the verdict:

The Board of County Commissioners voted to approve the allowance of up to four female chickens on small residential lots in Douglas County in addition to the number of household pets allowed (which is also 4). In addition to household pets and female chickens, the Board also approved the allowance of up to 4 small livestock (chickens and chinchillas).

Hurray, 4 out of 5 of my girls are now legal! :)

Sooo, I am like you used to be an "hidden chicken owner".
hide.gif
I am sort of a newbie here on BYC and to owning chickens, I have 3 chicks almost 2 months old as of the 17th. I live in Aurora, where currently NO chickens are allowed unless zoned AG, which I am not =(. We have a couple links going on BYC to rally people and also pages on Facebook for the laws to change for Arapahoe County and City of Aurora also. so please help and show us any support you can, or if you know anyone in those areas send them our way. Did you help in getting your laws changed and if so do you have any more advice for us? Also anything you did to not get your girls "discovered", like hiding them or not telling neighbors etc? How long did you have them illegally and do you still have the 5 instead of 4? Thanks for answering my questions....your secret is safe with me
wink.png

Hello,
My husband and I were looking into buying some chickens for our home in Castle Rock. We are newbies. Wanted to make a healthier way of eating for our four children. Sick of all the stuff they put in our food and feed the livestock. We are planning on planting a huge garden as well. Do you know the law for owning chickens in Castle Rock Subdivision? I can't find much. Do I have to apply for a license or something? Please help.

Stephanie

Back
Top Bottom