Downside to adding a rooster? (and a dumb question)

JeffandLori

Songster
Jul 18, 2020
S. Florida
I have six ISA Browns and wanted to add some dual purpose breeds to the mix so I ordered five Black Jersey Giants from Hoover's last January. Unfortunately, only three of them survived the first couple of days.

That said, one of them is obviously a rooster. Crows every morning, completely different tail, carries himself different, etc.

Now that he's larger than the ISA Browns, he seems to be getting a bit "frisky", which has not met with success yet that I know of. It appears all the hens are set on maintaining their virtue.

I have no desire/time/etc. to start incubating at this time, so a rooster is not needed. Additionally, my wife is terrified of opening a fertilized egg. I told her that because we pick them up every morning, that's not an issue. Even if it were fertilized, you'd never know. It appears she had some bad experiences with that when she was young, but I think that was due to flock management.

So, any up or downside to keeping the rooster? I have plenty of run for them to get around in, places to perch, etc. I'd prefer to keep him 'cause he looks cool.

thx,

If he is a darling, it is fun, if he is a nightmare...not so much. Generally the hens become his and less pet like with humans. Eventually they will think he hung the moon.

If they get aggressive, they tend to attack childern, then women, and then men. So if he starts acting wrong around your wife - listen to her.

Mostly what you needs is a plan B, in case it does not work out.

If he is a darling, it is fun, if he is a nightmare...not so much. Generally the hens become his and less pet like with humans. Eventually they will think he hung the moon.

If they get aggressive, they tend to attack childern, then women, and then men. So if he starts acting wrong around your wife - listen to her.

Mostly what you needs is a plan B, in case it does not work out.
Thx. I do about 99% of the actual care. My wife feeds them scratch grain in the afternoons.

Plan B if he gets too aggressive with the "employees" or the "landlord" (me) is a date with the Instapot. I got these to have egg layers on a two year rotation, so he may rotate out early. If he's fun and just does normal chicken stuff, all is well.

Back
Top Bottom