Drake only interested in one of his three hens

Cottonwood14

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2023
Hello, so as the title says my Pekín drake is only interested in the Pekín hen and not the two Khaki Campbell hens we got once we realized we had a drake. My Pekín hen is getting a bald spot on the back of her neck from over mating and was wondering what I could do to get the drake to mate with the other two. The khakis flirt with the drake and I saw him mounting one them at the start of summer but he fell off and i haven’t seen him try since. Do I need to separate my drake from the hens for a while and or maybe get some more hens for him?

“””Do I need to separate my drake from the hens for a while and or maybe get some more hens for him?”””

Yes and Yes i say do both! drake jail and duck math 👍🏼

just don’t let him mate the new ladies until they are 5 months old (keep separate)
duck math is awesome. You could get some more large breed females sexed from a major hatchery large breeds like rouens, silver apple yards Cayuga or more pekins! oh how fun! i love duck math

“””Do I need to separate my drake from the hens for a while and or maybe get some more hens for him?”””

Yes and Yes i say do both! drake jail and duck math 👍🏼
Awesome thank you! And about how long should I keep my drake in jail for?

Awesome thank you! And about how long should I keep my drake in jail for?
at least until his favorite girl heals up , its sad when drakes are in "jail" they pace back and forth . keep his jail pen alongside the regular ducks area . I would at night let them all sleep in the same coop but use a dog crate in there for him or section off a corner.
You could also try instead just putting the injured girl in the "jail pen" and see if your drake will start mating with the other girls while the injured one heals..

I would remove the 'favored' hen from the flock until the drake is routinely mating the other hens. Some mallard derived drakes will form a pair bond with one hen and only reluctantly mate others.

Back
Top Bottom