Drake Pekin being moody

Spotgieter

Songster
Apr 24, 2021
My drake Pekin, Marty, has a wonderful personality and at the moment, he's been using the spare bedroom as his coop. He greets us in the morning with conversation while we sit on the floor together. He allows bill kisses and he's become use to a petting now and then. We talk walks around the house and he's just a treat! Today, he didn't greet me or my husband. He was distant and almost seemed agitated with us.......now. we've acquired 2 ducklings that are also sharing the room with him and they've been together for 4 nights and Marty's been fine, so if it's the ducklings He doesn't like, why did it take 4 nights for him to be upset? He only sees them at night and they're separated. It hurts my heart that he acts like he doesn't know us anymore.

How old is Marty? And please remember, ducks don't think / process things like humans do. One day, two days, four days, it doesn't necessarily mean anything. But yes, I would think the ducklings are what has caused the change in him.

How old is Marty? And please remember, ducks don't think / process things like humans do. One day, two days, four days, it doesn't necessarily mean anything. But yes, I would think the ducklings are what has caused the change in him.
Marty is 5 months old.

Is it possible that it’s hormonal? Our drake was positively pleasant to anyone (human or animal) in the yard. Now he’s chasing the girls to death, picking on the geese and barely glances at my husband and I. He’s about the same age!

Is it possible that it’s hormonal? Our drake was positively pleasant to anyone (human or animal) in the yard. Now he’s chasing the girls to death, picking on the geese and barely glances at my husband and I. He’s about the same age!
Yes! and he's gotten much better, but on top of the moodiness, he has discovered his reflection in my husbands bumper and when he's finished in the pool, he spends the rest of the day with "tony" lol My poor baby....I wondered if I should put a mirror in his pen, so he can see Tony at night.

Yes! and he's gotten much better, but on top of the moodiness, he has discovered his reflection in my husbands bumper and when he's finished in the pool, he spends the rest of the day with "tony" lol My poor baby....I wondered if I should put a mirror in his pen, so he can see Tony at night.
Hopefully as the seasons change, so do the attitudes!! We are keeping ours separate for now because he can’t seem to keep his bill to himself.

Hopefully as the seasons change, so do the attitudes!! We are keeping ours separate for now because he can’t seem to keep his bill to himself.
haha fiesty fella! We've bought 2 khaki campbell ducklings and hopefully, Marty won't terrorize them. They won't go outside for another 4 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom