Drakes or Hens?

MysticPoultry101

Songster
6 Years
Jun 28, 2017
I have Four 4 wee old swedish ducklings that are starting to make quack like sounds. A few of the duckling are even getting a few full out quacks. They have been getting their little quacks since week 2, does this mean that they're girls? Or do all genders of ducklings start quacking as early as 2 weeks?

I know what you mean. If you can, wait until they're fully mature, and if they lay, then you'll know for sure. Drakes have a curled tail feather, and that might help. Females typically start quacking more fully than males. Males have a more whispery sounding quack until they're mature.

I know what you mean. If you can, wait until they're fully mature, and if they lay, then you'll know for sure. Drakes have a curled tail feather, and that might help. Females typically start quacking more fully than males. Males have a more whispery sounding quack until they're mature.

Yeah, Im just trying to figure out their gender now so I can figure out their names :)

Hmmm...
Do you have any pics of them? Maybe you could ask @Miss Lydia about it. I believe that she knows quite a bit about ducks. She'd be better at sexing them than I would be.
(Just an idea) when I named my ducks, I named them Salt and Pepper (one is a White Pekin, and the other is some dark brown and white duck). Maybe names that'd compliment each other, or names that you can use for any gender, like "Pat".

My girls had their voices change first and early. They sounded like a low pitched dog toy getting stepped on. I had people on here tell me it was too early to tell for sure but all of mine that did that turned out to be girls (I have hatched and raised a couple dozen). I have had a few girls go through their voice changes later than other girls but all the early ones turned out to be girls. So, I would name the quackers girl names and the non-quackers gender neural names like Pat or Terry.

Back
Top Bottom