Drunk walking chicken

Jan 17, 2021
I had two roosters. One was feather picking at her and then a week later she was limping. Then a few days later she was walking like she was drunk. She has little balance and even noticed both roosters trying to mount her which made it worse. She’s in my basement now but what the heck happened??

I had two roosters. One was feather picking at her and then a week later she was limping. Then a few days later she was walking like she was drunk. She has little balance and even noticed both roosters trying to mount her which made it worse. She’s in my basement now but what the heck happened??
Can you please clarify?
You have 2 roosters, but you are talking about "her". Is this a hen? Was this a hen with 2 roosters?
Please post some photos of the hen and her poop.
How old is she?
What do you feed?

I would get her hydrated, offer her some poultry vitamins and see that she's eating. Overmating and trying to keep away from 2 roosters (IF I'm understanding your post) - likely she's not been eating/drinking, is probably malnourished and possibly injured (look for any wounds under the wings, on the back, etc.

Age is a critical thing here to rule out highly contagious and highly common Mareks Disease. People are quick to jump onto the MD bandwagon but for good reason it is extremely common in backyard flocks and its first sign is neurological problems.

Chickens under 6mos showing these signs should be taken in to determine if its mareks. If it is, your whole flock has it and everyone thereafter (extremelyhard to get rid of). But many birds live normal lives (3yrs+) with the disease and remain asymptomatic until the complications it causes (typically tumors) does them in.

I hope it isn't and many many other things can cause this behavior (ingested toxin, head trauma, infection etc) but only trained professionals can tell you for sure.

Back
Top Bottom