Dry skin?

Asulyma

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2021
My chicken was lethargic for a while and I just kept giving her vitamins since she has wry neck. Now she’s finally eating some on her own but she has flaky skin does anyone know what this could be? It’s on her earlobes and near her eyes, nowhere else.

Attachments

• 327B1BBA-FC4A-4CD0-9CFE-F3906889A348.jpeg
    327B1BBA-FC4A-4CD0-9CFE-F3906889A348.jpeg
    465.7 KB · Views: 13
My chicken was lethargic for a while and I just kept giving her vitamins since she has wry neck. Now she’s finally eating some on her own but she has flaky skin does anyone know what this could be? It’s on her earlobes and near her eyes, nowhere else.
Looking at a couple of your other threads too. With the symptom of Wry Neck along with the skin condition, I would lean toward Marek's being the cause of the crusty skin.

It could be something else since she had an ear infection too. You can try apply an anti-fungal cream (athlete's foot cream) to see if that helps.

The poor thing is not improving much is she?

If you happen to lose her, sending the body for necropsy would provide you with a lot of information.

Looking at a couple of your other threads too. With the symptom of Wry Neck along with the skin condition, I would lean toward Marek's being the cause of the crusty skin.

It could be something else since she had an ear infection too. You can try apply an anti-fungal cream (athlete's foot cream) to see if that helps.

If you happen to lose her, sending the body for necropsy would provide you with a lot of information.
Thank you, I feel so bad for the poor thing. She’s my first sick chicken. She is actually a lot better compared to what she was. I thought she was going to pass away for sure a few times and at one point she would just lay there and I was trying to find someone to put her down. But the past week or so she’s been awake most of the day, she ‘purrs’ a lot now, she eats from the syringe now instead of having to tube feed her. She was open mouth breathing but that stopped too. She had the bloody poop so I treated with corid and that seemed to make her neck so much worse since I had stopped the vitamins. Once I took the stuff out of her ear and put the ointment in that wasn’t an issue again thankfully. This wry neck just isn’t seeming to go away. I’m wondering if it’s Mareks too. I thought I had spilled food on her at first lol.

She’s almost completely better!! All of a sudden yesterday her neck was able to move and it was a little sideways but today she’s up talking away with her neck almost completely straight! I’m not sure what it is but I’m glad I didn’t get her put down the few times I was going to because it seemed hopeless.

Attachments

• FCC57718-6A50-4AD6-83D1-0E35A19F6D85.png
    FCC57718-6A50-4AD6-83D1-0E35A19F6D85.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom