Drying wings post processing?

IldflueStjerne

Chirping
Apr 30, 2023
I processed my first quail today. Seven in total. I admit, I had someone else slaughter them, and I did the rest.

My plan is to make use of as many of the offcuts as possible, the majority of the organs will go to my cats, and I'd like to give them the legs, and the wings as well.

I've seen sun-dried quail wings on etsy for cat toys, but can't find any instructions on how to do it.
Has anyone here tried doing this? Is it as simple as putting them under a rock on a hot day? For how long?

I don't have a freeze dryer, but I do have a dehydrator. Would that be a better choice? Or would that cook the bones and turn them brittle?

Did you figure out how to make these wings yet? Could you just give the cat the freshly cut off wing?

I usually just cut the wings off and trash them...I've never thought about making cat toys.
Neat idea.

Did you figure out how to make these wings yet? Could you just give the cat the freshly cut off wing?

I usually just cut the wings off and trash them...I've never thought about making cat toys.
Neat idea.
I haven't figured it out yet. I could just give them the wing, but if I'm going to have it hanging around as a toy for any length of time, I would certainly prefer whatever small amount of meat is there to be dry so it won't decay.

I may just need to experiment a little. There's quite a bit of debate on whether dehydrator dried bones are safe for pets, or if they are in the 'cooked' unsafe category.

My cats are spoiled rotten, so I'm always looking for toys that they will actually play with and chase. When I saw the wings on etsy, the idea lodged itself in my head.

I dehydrated some wings in the oven. Lowest temp for however many hrs it took for them to seem good and dehydrated.

My cat played with one for about 5 minutes and then stopped caring. Pulling a few feathers off and tying them together on a string would have been a better use. My cat has no hunting instincts though.

When we dry tail fans to keep we use borax, we dip the meat area in borax and then tack it up in the garage for a few weeks during summer. Though I'm not sure how safe borax or old dried meat would be for a cat to ingest.

Back
Top Bottom