Duck Acting Different

Rounduck

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2020
I will start with an introduction to the duck, so I used to have a flock of ducks until they died and left me with 1, I've raised this single duck for about 5 years now with my family until recently I've been having to do a lot of school work resulting in me not being able to go out as often. My parents are always outside doing gardening work though, so I assumed everything was fine.

That was until recently I went back out and my duck has been acting very differently. He used to quack a lot when he hears the door open and follow us around and bite our feet and shoes and even plays with the shoes by dragging them around. But now he's way more reserved with him barely even quacking and he doesn't follow us around except when we have food. He also doesn't respond to his name. He's been bathing, eating, and drinking water perfectly fine but he has had bumblefoot for a few years where we thought it stopped but then now its suddenly infected more of his foot. We've been soaking his feet in epson salt water recently but because of our family issues we cant afford to go to the vet. My parents say that he's been acting like that since a month ago but I only just found out now. Any clues to what's causing the sudden behavioral change? My mum said that it might be because he's been molting recently. I'd appreciate any response.

Some extra info:
- he's about 6 years old (5 years alone)
- bumble foot for about 3-4 years (only recently started spreading wildly)
- male
- pekin

Bumblefoot is a staph infection and if it gets out of hand can cause the infection to spread in the body. It sounds like he needs to be seen by a vet. At the least he needs the bumblefoot taken care of and most likely needs antibiotics.

Sorry I haven't responded in a year but yes. I feel really guilty with his condition but due to my parents unwillingness to take him to the vet I really don't know what to do regarding his bumblefoot.
You made a thread saying your duck has had bumble foot (an infection which can become very serious) for multiple years---Then leave the thread for a further year, leaving your animal for an incredible amount of time without much needed medical attention.
I'm astonished.

A vet is the best thing for this, but if it isn't possible, you can attempt to treat this from home. However the longer the infection is there, the more chance there is that this has already spread and the harder it is to treat.
Please stay around online, there are people who can help you to help your duck, let me @ some people. @Miss Lydia @Quatie

Do you have a photo of the bumbles? That would help a lot to see what we are dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom