Duck died, trying to figure out why

Melontine

Songster
May 26, 2019
Maine
So I had 10 6-week old ducks in the barn. I carried them in using a dog crate so they could enjoy swimming in the tub for a bit while I cleaned out their pen.
I’d been using wood pellets, but today I went with a straw and resolved to just switch it out sooner instead. Usually I do half and half so the weight isn’t too bad when I’m cleaning.

Nothing seemed off. I towel dried them a bit and brought them back out to their pen. They were still a bit wet, but it’s warm and I know they’ll shake it off and seem feathered enough now that I don’t think it’d matter too much.

I gave them a dish of salad, figuring it’d be a good treat for them to try out now. Haven’t been spoiling these guys much and wanted to see what they’d think. None of them touched it while I was there though.

I happened by them later in the day, all ten were still good. I did notice one of my khakis were sitting, but she stood up again and waddled off when I got closer.

I came back tonight to change out their water jug and find one of my khaki cambells has died.

I really don’t know what happened, it’s just so sudden. Everyone else still seems normal and happy, I just don’t know what killed her.

Do they live in a secure cage or coop?

When you find a dead bird, always exam the surrounding area for clues. Then do a physical examination on the bird, you would need to do a thorough inspection. Sometimes opening the bird up can give you some ideas if the outer inspection was inconclusive.

Back
Top Bottom