Duck Disappearance

mml373

Chirping
Aug 3, 2019
Hi. I had 11 ducks and all survived the winter. Over the past couple of weeks, the number has dwindled down to 5. I have seen some going onto a neighbor's property on his side of the fence by the pond he and I both share (ducks swim in it all the time). The ducks have been laying eggs for some time. Would have my flock go nest somewhere, leaving the other half? There may be predation going on but I'm not finding a TRACE and none of my other birds are being eaten. The disappearance of the last 3 ducks was sudden -- all within a day or two.

I have a hunch they're nesting somewhere (this is my first spring with ducks) but am aware predation may also be the cause of their disappearance.

Appreciate any insights.

Yes, they will go off and hide to nest. They are sneaky at it and you could be walking right past them without seeing them. Also, they are vulnerable to predators when they are nesting so they could have been carried off. There is no way to know unless they return with babies following behind. Domestic ducks have little or no protection from predators which is why it is recommended that they be locked in a coop at night.

Yes, they will go off and hide to nest. They are sneaky at it and you could be walking right past them without seeing them. Also, they are vulnerable to predators when they are nesting so they could have been carried off. There is no way to know unless they return with babies following behind. Domestic ducks have little or no protection from predators which is why it is recommended that they be locked in a coop at night.
Much appreciated.

Obviously, I had no idea domestic ducks are so vulnerable. I figured they know what they need better than I do, and would take suitable action to protect themselves. I have had maybe 3 losses since these were released as adolescents last spring.

Back
Top Bottom