Duck egg color variations?

thoeffel1994

Songster
11 Years
Feb 14, 2013
Chickens seem to have a huge variety of egg colors. Are the only colors that ducks produce, black, grey, white, and green? Why does it seem like chickens have all these different shades of colors, but ducks only have a few?

Chickens seem to have a huge variety of egg colors. Are the only colors that ducks produce, black, grey, white, and green? Why does it seem like chickens have all these different shades of colors, but ducks only have a few?
Cayuga ducks lay black or grey (depending on genes). I've heard some runners lay green, but also probably depends on what genes they have. My Cayuga lay a dark grey - not quite black like I've seen other pictures of. Their first few were off white.

I wonder what mixing a Cayuga to a Runner would do for color.

Attachments

• 20230809_133316.jpg
    20230809_133316.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 4
Cayuga ducks lay black or grey (depending on genes). I've heard some runners lay green, but also probably depends on what genes they have. My Cayuga lay a dark grey - not quite black like I've seen other pictures of. Their first few were off white.

I wonder what mixing a Cayuga to a Runner would do for color.
I was actually wondering the same thing. I guess it depends if the genes for the black/grey eggs and genes for the green eggs will both express at the same time or if one will cover up the other. 🤔

My new Dutch Hookbill lays pretty blue eggs.
View attachment 3635932
Those are nice looking eggs. The top one looks like it's a a light tan color, I haven't seen that before.

I noticed that one breed can produce different colored eggs. I would love to try to select for color and stabilize it in some of the breeds I have. Like maybe get a breed that always lays green eggs, one that always lays black/grey, etc

Back
Top Bottom