Duck Egg Dilemma

Goose_Willis

Chirping
Jun 12, 2023
So last week I was sick with a stomach bug and didn't have the energy to do anything more than feed and change waters. Up until then, my 4 Buffs were only laying an egg every other day and my 3 cayugas weren't laying at all so I figured it wouldn't be too bad when I finally got in the coop this week.

Boy, was I wrong.

I found 48 eggs on this past Sunday. I guess the cayugas started laying and a few of my Buffs must be laying more frequently now...😅

I put the eggs in my uninsulated shed on top of my chest freezer because it's basically winter so I figured it's cool in there but my husband is now concerned that the eggs will freeze or have frozen since the nighttime temps have been in the teens (Fahrenheit).

I'm looking at them right now and I don't see any cracks in any of their shells.

Is there any other way to tell is they froze? Does it ruin them if they do? Wouldn't I have a bunch of busted eggs if they were getting cold enough to freeze? I would think at least one of the 48 would be busted or cracked in some way.

I've cracked a few for the dogs and cats and they don't look or smell weird to me.

When I have found an egg inside the coop that had froze it had cracks in it. I am not sure if this happens every time one freezes but I would think so because the contents inside of the shell is swelling which would lead to cracks. 48 eggs wow they sure have been busy.

Back
Top Bottom