Duck eggs late to hatch!!!

Christi2107

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
Texas
I set 6 saxony duck eggs in the incubator to hatch and only 3 started to develop. I stopped turning at day 28 and now it is day 31 and no pip. I thought they were suppose to hatch on day 28-30. I'm a nurse so I listened to the eggs with my stethoscope and heard heart beats in 2 out of the 3 eggs. Has anyone hatched this type of duck egg before and how long did it take them to hatch? Thanks!!!

It could be that your temperature was low- That can increase the time they need from the normal 28 days - Or just that there is something else wrong stopping them from hatching since 2 are still alive. Being the wrong way in the egg- low humidity causing shrink wrapping by the membrane- or just that they were weak nonviable ducklings are among other causes.

What humidity have you been running in your incubator?

Mine are a few days late on hatching but they are Muscovy and always a pain in the incubator. I had to help a couple out and lost the first 2... I just didn't get to them in time.

Can you candle them and see if any are into the air sac yet? The ones I lost were into the air sac but not moving. I helped another 2 out by taking off the "top" of the egg and leaving them to rest and make the rest of the way out on their own. They are doing fine now.

I hope your babies are alright
fl.gif

Hi there!

New to the Ducky posting here! I have some Silver Appleyard, Saxony and Buff Ducks I am trying to hatch - my last hatch didn't go well at all but that was due to getting eggs that were frozen or too cold, or broken during shipment. I incubated them on 03/4/11 and 03/01/11 so I would assume that we are at hatching time correct? I have heard some noise in at least one egg and another was doing the dance yesterday but is kind of quiet today. Should I wait another day or two???? What is the general hatch date on these guys? We had a power outage a couple weeks ago when we set them so temps were down for about two days. Also, I have some geese I'm hatching - I think I heard 31-35 days for Sebastopol's, Toulouse and African greys - does anyone know?

It would really be appreciated
thumbsup.gif

My chickens are pretty much done for now so the duckies and geese get their turn now
ya.gif

This morning I still had no pips and it was day 32 so I candled them and noticed their air sacs were shrink wrapped to them so I decided to help them out because I knew they'd probably die anyways. The first one was dead in his shell - yolk not absorbed. The second one was still slightly moving but the yolk was not absorbed and she started to bleed a little when I started messing with the membrane so I wrapped her in a wet paper towell and put her back in the bator...she didn't make it.
sad.png
The third one was still alive but was the same way - yolk not absorbed and started to bleed when i messed with the membrane so I put him back n the bator. When I came back to check on him, his beak was sticking out the hole and moving but no sound. So as of now he's still alive. Hope he does ok through the night. I've decided humidity and temp were both too low. Ducks r way harder to hatch than chickens!

sad.png
So sorry you have had troubles. A first hatch is always nicer when its trouble free. You can use a misting bottle to keep the membrane wet- use warm water in it - rather than cold so you dont chill the duckling too much each time you spray. I hope the little one pulls through for you. If it does.... being a lone duckling will you raise it alone or try to find a few days old ducklings somewhere for some company??

Back
Top Bottom