Duck Food Question

SammyKay

Chirping
Jan 4, 2024
Hi, so I will be incubating duck eggs for the first time and one of the things I'm most confused about is what feed should I use for the ducks once they get older. I found a quite affordable feed from a local farm store and it's called "Purina Duck Feed Pellets 40 lb." it has 60 ppm niacin and 19% protein. It says it can be used for both ducklings and adults but I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience with this? They will be Cayuga ducks. I've heard mixed opinions when I look up how much protein they should have. I won't be raising the ducks for eggs, more like for companions. Is 19% protein too much for both adults and babies? Or would I be fine using this feed both when they are babies and when they are adults?

That's what I've fed my ducks for years. Ducklings get crumbles and graduate to pellets as they get older. When they start to lay, a bowl of oyster shell is available, too.

Same here, I have used the Purina Duck crumbles for babies until they are fully feathered and then switched over to the Purina Duck Pellets for the remainder.

For reference, I have 8 ducks in total:
2 Silver Appleyards (M&F)
1 Muscovy (F)
1 Blue Swedish (F)
1 Welsh Harlequin (F)
3 Muscovy/Appleyard Hinnies (2M&1F)

Back
Top Bottom