Duck has white poop, not willing to eat, and her breast and neck are spasming a little bit, HELP!

catcatL

Hatching
Jan 9, 2023
Pekin duck, 2 years old. She is not eating tomatoes and vegetables, not eating any of the duck food. She has not been eating for 2 days. She has white, sticky liquid poops like mucus since this morning. She feels like exhausted and resting all day. She was eating some earthworms this afternoon in the garden, and that was the only time she eats. My other male pekin duck does not have these problems. She does not have any visible wounds. I want to try to look for help first, if things not work out I will take her to the vet.

I don't know ducks, but I believe @Aunt Angus does?

Hope your girl is okay.
That doesn't sound good. How is she doing today? Is there egg material in that poop at all?

I do have duckies, but there are others who are more experienced: @Miss Lydia @ruthhope @HollowOfWisps

There are lots of really helpful duck folks on here,and I can't remember all of their names right now.

I would take her to the vet if you have one that will look at her, It may be an infection and she might need an antibiotic. You should also talk to the vet about tube feeding since she isn't eating much.

The white watery stools reflect that your duck is drinking but not eating much.

Is she laying? Has she had any softshell eggs? Is there a possibility she is egg bound?

A vet would be the best option, Meanwhile keep her quiet, warm and calm. Offer her pedialyte solution rather than plain electrolytes, as pedialyte contains glucose. Seriously consider tube feeding her if she isn't eating anything after 2 days

Good luck

The white watery stools reflect that your duck is drinking but not eating much.

Is she laying? Has she had any softshell eggs? Is there a possibility she is egg bound?

A vet would be the best option, Meanwhile keep her quiet, warm and calm. Offer her pedialyte solution rather than plain electrolytes, as pedialyte contains glucose. Seriously consider tube feeding her if she isn't eating anything after 2 days

Good luck
Thanks for the suggestion! She stopped laying eggs a few days ago, and yes, she had softshell eggs for a while. I think she has some problem with laying eggs

Thanks for the suggestion! She stopped laying eggs a few days ago, and yes, she had softshell eggs for a while. I think she has some problem with laying eggs
If she is egg bound that is an emergency to treat.

You need liquid Calcium Gluconate--from Tractor Supply or a vet--1ml over a tasty treat if you can get her to eat or by mouth, or slowly dribbled from a plastic syringe [no needle!] into the side of the inside of her mouth.

She needs calcium gluconate everyday until she recovers

If she is egg bound that is an emergency to treat.

You need liquid Calcium Gluconate--from Tractor Supply or a vet--1ml over a tasty treat if you can get her to eat or by mouth, or slowly dribbled from a plastic syringe [no needle!] into the side of the inside of her mouth.

She needs calcium gluconate everyday until she recovers
Thank you so much! I think egg bound is the problem, I've seen her lying on the floor and breathing like she is trying to push the egg out of her body, but I don't think she was able to do so.

Back
Top Bottom