Duck health expert needed!

StuckeyFarm

Songster
Aug 28, 2020
Northwest Arkansas
A couple weeks ago, one of our ducks started limping and within a couple days wouldn’t even walk. I checked her feet and didn’t see any signs of Bumblefoot. Her leg appeared swollen and warm to touch. I assumed an infection had set in, in her leg. However, she also lost her voice/quack and had watery eyes. So I thought maybe she had some respiratory infection as well. We are very new to ducks and my vet has been out of the office. So, I researched medicine for infection. I decided to give her a powder amoxicillin that I had for ten days. We put her under a heat lamp every night and sat her in the yard during the day. She began to improve and is now walking again but still has a limp. She is still unable to quack although she tries. He leg swelling has gone down but the joint still seems a little swollen compared to her other leg. I’ve picked up some probiotics for her to start. Is there anything else I should do for her? Different antibiotic or anything?

RoosterWhisperer

M*A*S*H
Premium Feather Member
Sep 13, 2019
A couple weeks ago, one of our ducks started limping and within a couple days wouldn’t even walk. I checked her feet and didn’t see any signs of Bumblefoot. Her leg appeared swollen and warm to touch. I assumed an infection had set in, in her leg. However, she also lost her voice/quack and had watery eyes. So I thought maybe she had some respiratory infection as well. We are very new to ducks and my vet has been out of the office. So, I researched medicine for infection. I decided to give her a powder amoxicillin that I had for ten days. We put her under a heat lamp every night and sat her in the yard during the day. She began to improve and is now walking again but still has a limp. She is still unable to quack although she tries. He leg swelling has gone down but the joint still seems a little swollen compared to her other leg. I’ve picked up some probiotics for her to start. Is there anything else I should do for her? Different antibiotic or anything?
If she’s doing well, and eating, drinking and pooping she seems pretty fine. But I am no duck expert, I am mentioning a few people who might be though.
@EverythingDucks, @fuscia?

Cute profile picture! Btw!

Top Bottom