Duck Identification

laurapea

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2020
Hi all, please let me start by saying I adore my babies and I actually don’t care if they’re alligators to be totally honest, I love them the same no matter what! But I’d love to know your thoughts and here’s why....

I bought white crested hatching eggs. They were totally white eggs. When they hatched, one duckling was yellow all over with orange bill and legs, no crest. One was a mix of black and yellow, with a white crest, black and orange legs and bill. (I will attach photos.)

Now they are older, the yellow duckling turned into a buff ish coloured female, still no crest. The darker duckling (drake) has turned a mix of brown and white, with a more faded bill and legs now. But definitely not the same colour as his sister’s bill and legs. (Again I will attach photos).

After a bit of searching I found some ducks which were white Pekins crossed with Runner Ducks and their markings were very similar.

SO, I emailed the seller who sent me the eggs and informed him with photos that neither were white. He replied was gobsmacked to say the least! He said he only has white crested Pekins and Buff Orpingtons so he must have got a pen hopping Buff Orpington drake. But after looking at photos of Buff Orpingtons, I don’t think my drake looks like one at all! I think he looks more like a Swedish Blue to be honest! Haha!

Any thoughts anyone? I’m baffled! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 70D9B9C8-B700-41B7-8FDA-F7116C6FB3A9.jpeg
    70D9B9C8-B700-41B7-8FDA-F7116C6FB3A9.jpeg
    939.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 04C605A7-49E1-4AB6-8C94-86749C33CA09.jpeg
    04C605A7-49E1-4AB6-8C94-86749C33CA09.jpeg
    604.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 44F68B9D-962C-43A4-A7E9-EDED25B8EE66.jpeg
    44F68B9D-962C-43A4-A7E9-EDED25B8EE66.jpeg
    544.4 KB · Views: 11
  • CE60CE23-96F2-435D-9199-3EDB98ED9620.jpeg
    CE60CE23-96F2-435D-9199-3EDB98ED9620.jpeg
    1,021.7 KB · Views: 12
Hi all, please let me start by saying I adore my babies and I actually don’t care if they’re alligators to be totally honest, I love them the same no matter what! But I’d love to know your thoughts and here’s why....

I bought white crested hatching eggs. They were totally white eggs. When they hatched, one duckling was yellow all over with orange bill and legs, no crest. One was a mix of black and yellow, with a white crest, black and orange legs and bill. (I will attach photos.)

Now they are older, the yellow duckling turned into a buff ish coloured female, still no crest. The darker duckling (drake) has turned a mix of brown and white, with a more faded bill and legs now. But definitely not the same colour as his sister’s bill and legs. (Again I will attach photos).

After a bit of searching I found some ducks which were white Pekins crossed with Runner Ducks and their markings were very similar.

SO, I emailed the seller who sent me the eggs and informed him with photos that neither were white. He replied was gobsmacked to say the least! He said he only has white crested Pekins and Buff Orpingtons so he must have got a pen hopping Buff Orpington drake. But after looking at photos of Buff Orpingtons, I don’t think my drake looks like one at all! I think he looks more like a Swedish Blue to be honest! Haha!

Any thoughts anyone? I’m baffled! Thanks in advance.
On the dark one it looks like he has a little crest and is a mix. The other one looks like a Buff Orpington!

On the dark one it looks like he has a little crest and is a mix. The other one looks like a Buff Orpington!

Interesting! So do you think I could have been sent a pure Buff Orpington egg then? For the buff girl anyway.

Thanks for your input!

Back
Top Bottom