Duck is having seizure like behavior

Hey Ruth! So sorry I have not updated everyone. I took Chippy to the vet and they gave him antibiotics for the infection. This was administered through mouth.

After 2 weeks he got better and was back to himself.
However, a little time has passed and it looks like his symptoms are back...

I am administering his mouth medication again for another 2 weeks.

Also I checked his feet... looks like he has small cuts and fissures (most likely due to dry feet). I am working on healing those as I have dealt with bumblefoot before.

Let me know if this treatment is best:
- soak foot in epsom salts
- spray with vetericyn
- wrap foot with gauze and plain neosporin (no pain relief additives)
- use special duck foot boots <3
Sorry your little guy is showing symptoms again

What were the results of his blood work the first time? Did they confirm an infection? Is the medication you are giving again an antibiotic? IS it liquid? Did you keep it in the refrigerator wince you first used it? Or have you got a new bottle? Liquid antibiotics are not a stable as tables and some deteriorate quite quickly. You would definitely be better with a new bottle than continuing to use the original bottle.

If he has bumblefoot -- or incipient bumblefoot from a new wound -- your treatment regimen is good.

Keep in touch -- let us now developments. Give Chippy a hug from me

Answering you questions @ruthhope! Thanks so much for confirming the treatment for his feet. I will give big hugs to him for you!

What were the results of his blood work the first time? Did they confirm an infection?
The blood work showed that he had a mild infection but the vet was not able to tell me what type or the cause.

"CBC (complete blood count) which looks at red blood cells and white blood cells does show a significant increase in markers for infection or inflammation. More notably the high percentage of heterophils (72%) which are bird's neutrophils or the first thing that goes to help in cases of infection."

Is the medication you are giving again an antibiotic? IS it liquid?
Liquid medication taken by mouth twice daily
> Meloxicam
> TMS (no sure what this means it's an antibiotic)

Did you keep it in the refrigerator wince you first used it? Or have you got a new bottle?
I have been keeping in the refrigerator and will be getting a refill soon.

Last edited:

juniverse:​

> Meloxicam
> TMS (no sure what this means it's an antibiotic)

Meloxicam is an anti-inflammatory
TMS is trimethoprim-sulfa [trade name Bactrim/Septrin]

Seems a reasonable treatment for a presumed infection.

I would get the refill and use that rather than the open bottle

Back
Top Bottom