Duck leg infection -Clindamycin

merca126

Songster
9 Years
Apr 11, 2015
Hi!

I picked up a female pekin from my friends farm. He asked if I could help cure her bumblefoot and then just keep her. I got her home and looked and she had a feed bag string wrapped around her leg and it basically had become part of her body! Cutting off circulation and causing an infection. I took her to a rehab friend and she performed a minor surgery and removed the string. I had been treating her with an antibiotic that did not help much.

I just found an almost full bottle of clindamycin. (Dogs dental last year) I want to start her on it but I cannot figure out dosage no matter how much reading I do! And I am math challenged. She is 6.4 pounds - and my syringe is in MLs. Can anyone help with dosage? And can the clindamycin help with the infection?
IMG_6225.jpeg

What is the strength of your clindamycin? Is it 25 mg per ml? Or is it tablets? When my 9 pound cat had dental surgery, he took 25 mg or 1 ml twice a day for 7-10 days.

If you give 25mg per kg or each 2.2 pounds, I would round her weight of 6.4 pounds up to 6.6, and give 75mg or 3 ml. As said, my cat got 25mg or 1 ml. It seems that birds may need a stronger dosage.

Back
Top Bottom