Duck Leg Injury + other symptoms

freckledfairy

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2023
South Carolina
Hi!

I need some help figuring out how to support my sweet girl. Friday night, when we went to put our girls up for bed, Florence was laying in the coop, and did not get up to greet us like normal. Upon further encouragement, she didn’t get up either. 2 hours earlier she was just fine and herself. We took her inside, and she wouldn’t stand on her right leg. She let me stretch it out to look it over, and didn’t jerk it away when I touched it. Her foot is curled up.

Saturday she wasn’t interested in breakfast, and wasn’t pooping very often. She’s only been pooping every ~ 2 hours, and it’s 80% clear liquid with a tiny bit of green poo.

She’s also extremely quiet, which she is usually not. She’s 21 weeks old and so I thought she may be eggbound with her first egg and it was maybe pressing on a nerve.

Saturday afternoon I was just getting nervous so I called our Cat&dog vet. They have urgent/weekend hours whereas our farm/avian vet does not. Our vet used to have chickens and were not busy so they agreed to see us. We knew we probably wouldn’t get true diagnostics but at least we could check for a fracture. They took x rays and they came back clean. No obvious break, no egg. They prescribed a low dose of meloxicam to hold her over, and sent us home.

Once we were home Saturday afternoon she was in better spirits. She was a tiny bit chatty and even ate some.

No changes today, still pretty quiet, not bearing weight on that right side, only pooping every few hours. It’s really throwing me for a loop because I’ve never read anything linking an presumed injury to bowel issues. Anyone have any thoughts??

Just to be sure it isn't a niacin deficiency I'd start her on liquid B complex. Keep her on it for at least a week, if it's a deficiency you should be seeing some improvement, It may be she has injured herself and the B complex will help there too. Rest, water therapy, and B complex are the way to go. If her foot is still curled then you can make her a shoe using a plastic container cut it the size of her foot wrap it in vet wrap to cover sharp edges. Then lay her foot onto it and wrap it with vet wrap go up around her ankle to keep it on just make sure not to wrap it too tight and cut off circulation. Here is info on the Liquid B complex and doses.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

How is she doing today?

Just to be sure it isn't a niacin deficiency I'd start her on liquid B complex. Keep her on it for at least a week, if it's a deficiency you should be seeing some improvement, It may be she has injured herself and the B complex will help there too. Rest, water therapy, and B complex are the way to go. If her foot is still curled then you can make her a shoe using a plastic container cut it the size of her foot wrap it in vet wrap to cover sharp edges. Then lay her foot onto it and wrap it with vet wrap go up around her ankle to keep it on just make sure not to wrap it too tight and cut off circulation. Here is info on the Liquid B complex and doses.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

How is she doing today?
She’s doing better, thank you! We put her back in the run (in her own small area but where she could see everyone and everyone could see her) for the afternoon and they were so happy to be reunited. We saw the vet Tuesday morning and of course Florence was a bit nervous and she walked on it as if nothing had happened. Stinker 🙃. Vet thought it was a sprain or possible stress fracture. He prescribed some meds for pain if she got restless, and a homeopathic bone healer.

I’ve been giving her the homeopathy remedy as well as extra vitamin B and nutridrench for an extra boost. (A regular dose of vitamin B, and 3/4 dose of nutridrench as to ensure I don’t come close to overdoing it).

Today, she will walk a few steps and then take a break to chill and rest. Improvement for sure!

I really appreciate everyone’s thoughts here!

My young drake just started showing these same signs (and the same type of poo you described). Limp, lethargy, won't eat (except for live meal worms)... he's drinking water, though. He usually gets a good bit of supplements including probiotics and brewer's yeast, plus he gets electrolytes and nutridrench once a week each.

I'm wondering if he's eaten something toxic?

Just wanting to share, because my male has the same symptoms your female has; if it's the same thing, it's not egg related at least.

Has your girl's health improved at all?

Here is info on flushes if you think the duck may have eaten something toxic
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal.700526/
@BoradorBeans
My husband has just run out to pick up some activated charcoal and molasses. We read the toxin flushes post last night. We're going to try one of them. That's the only thing I could think of for this guy. He's an indoor duck, so he doesn't usually get into any trouble. He will frequently strain his leg after humping his stuffed animals too hard 🙄 But this time, he isn't himself.

We weigh his mom, Keisha, daily now since her surgery. So I've been popping him on the scale, too. He's lost 200grams in two days.

Keisha has a follow-up vet appointment on Friday the 24th, and the vet is out of town at an avian convention until then. We're hoping Lenny (Keisha's son) improves before then. But we will bring him with us to see her if nothing improves.

Just wanted to see if @freckledfairy had another update on her girl.

Attachments

• 20230819_155950.jpg
    20230819_155950.jpg
    796.7 KB · Views: 4
My husband has just run out to pick up some activated charcoal and molasses. We read the toxin flushes post last night. We're going to try one of them. That's the only thing I could think of for this guy. He's an indoor duck, so he doesn't usually get into any trouble. He will frequently strain his leg after humping his stuffed animals too hard 🙄 But this time, he isn't himself.

We weigh his mom, Keisha, daily now since her surgery. So I've been popping him on the scale, too. He's lost 200grams in two days.

Keisha has a follow-up vet appointment on Friday the 24th, and the vet is out of town at an avian convention until then. We're hoping Lenny (Keisha's son) improves before then. But we will bring him with us to see her if nothing improves.

Just wanted to see if @freckledfairy had another update on her girl.
Hi! Our Florence is about 80% better! She just needed time for her leg to heal. She’s happy to be back out in the coop even if it is in her own section.

Another thing we considered was parasites and I dewormed everyone. I know you said you’ve got indoor ducks, but that could still be a possibility.

How’s he doing today??

Back
Top Bottom