Duck living on cow feed?

Quote:
Agreed. I have met my share of vets who, although good intentioned, and good owners, know very little about ducks. Does that mean he's a bad vet? No. It does however mean that if he acquires an animal and decides to keep it, that he, just like ANY good owner should research the animals needs, and provide them. MOST calf feed is not going to be the best option nutritionally for a duck. Can they eat it? Sure. They can also eat bread and cereal and live. Is it the best for them, is a better question.

If this were anyone other than a vet, we'd all be in here advising against calf feed as a steady duck diet. His position does not make him immune to error.

You do raise a valid point. I know when our duck was injured almost 2wks ago my local vet(cat/dog, they will vax our horses but that is all) flat out said they had nobody there with duck knowledge and gave me another vet to contact.

OP i think they should have been upfront on the situation. I don't think calf feed is ideal but i am uncertain what you can do about it. Good luck with your search for some duckies of your own.

Oh man, lots of frustrating things in your post there.

The lady "rescuing" the duck from the pit bull only to have her own dog attack it, a careless vet...

GRRRRR!!!!

I think you should contact the vet again and let him know alittle more about ducks, printing him out a care guide could be helpful or even giving him the backyard chickens website. There is nothing you can do at this point but make sure the vet is providing the best care possible. The fact that the duck did not have clean water available is another story. If this hasnt changed by the time you go back consider contacting your local animal control.
It really does upset me that a vet could decide to keep an animal without doing the research, As a vet I'm sure he is presented with animals all the time because someone didn't understand how to care for them.
This is a tricky situation, and really upsetting. As for you and your family have you considered adopting another needy duck? This would definatly be a good experience for your son and help a duck find a home.
http://www.duckrescuenetwork.org/ or visit your local animal shelter! I know my local shelter is filled with all kinds of farm birds in need of homes!

Emily

Thanks for the replies guys and yes we are looking to provide a home for ducks that might not do well in a big flock. I was thinking of a max of 3 ducks so they at least have some other birds to associate with and not be relying on chickens as companions or even taking in a duck that should be an only duck like one a friend had when I was younger. It was a great duck to be around people but she would attack other ducks and even try to fight them through the fence. Her best buddy was a little cocker spaniel mix dog they got along great and slept together in the same dog house. I don't know that I will be going up there but the family friend has her rescue boxers up there for any vet work (and he does take excellent care of them) she has promised to keep me informed of what is going on with the little ducky. I agree he doesn't seem like a bad vet but maybe needs a little help in the duck area. I'll keep yall posted on what happens and thanks again for the responses.

Back
Top Bottom