Duck stopped using pool and became less sociable

AC56

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2022
Fyvie, Aberdeenshire
Hi all.
Few months ago we got 4 Khaki Campbells ducks and 12 chickens. They have separate coops, but sharing a run. Ducks have their swimming pool.
Few days ago one of the ducks died (cannot stop crying, poor wee soul). We think she had egg track issue. I am now watching them constantly and get paranoid every time one of them sits alone, or doesn't quack as loud, or breathing differently etc.
Ducks didn't witnessed the death. Poor duckie died in our bath.
One duck is often sleeps alone while other two enjoying bathing. Sometimes she breathes with mouth open (although weather was warm). I haven't seen her swimming for ages. She drinks water and eats ok, runs when treats are on the go.
I am not sure if she always was like that or just started to be less sociable.
I also only have two eggs only, so one of ducks hasn't start laying for some reason.
I know they are all different characters, but if it has been change in behaviour, should I be worried?

Hi all.
Few months ago we got 4 Khaki Campbells ducks and 12 chickens. They have separate coops, but sharing a run. Ducks have their swimming pool.
Few days ago one of the ducks died (cannot stop crying, poor wee soul). We think she had egg track issue. I am now watching them constantly and get paranoid every time one of them sits alone, or doesn't quack as loud, or breathing differently etc.
Ducks didn't witnessed the death. Poor duckie died in our bath.
One duck is often sleeps alone while other two enjoying bathing. Sometimes she breathes with mouth open (although weather was warm). I haven't seen her swimming for ages. She drinks water and eats ok, runs when treats are on the go.
I am not sure if she always was like that or just started to be less sociable.
I also only have two eggs only, so one of ducks hasn't start laying for some reason.
I know they are all different characters, but if it has been change in behaviour, should I be worried?
The open mouth breathing probably just means it is hot.
A change in behavior can mean something is wrong but not always. It can just mean circumstances have changed. Like.. the weather is different. Mine definitely lay around more during hot weather. Also ducks are seasonal layers mine start and stop at different times of the year. Like right now they have gone on strike egg laying because it's so hot. Hormones play a part in their behavior too. If they are a "few months" old they're probably hitting that stage where their hormones are kicking in and that changes things.

The open mouth breathing probably just means it is hot.
A change in behavior can mean something is wrong but not always. It can just mean circumstances have changed. Like.. the weather is different. Mine definitely lay around more during hot weather. Also ducks are seasonal layers mine start and stop at different times of the year. Like right now they have gone on strike egg laying because it's so hot. Hormones play a part in their behavior too. If they are a "few months" old they're probably hitting that stage where their hormones are kicking in and that changes things.
Ahhh one is definitely breathing heavily. Her tail bobs with each breath. I have a video but its not uploading. Sometimes she has mouth open, and today wasn't that hot. Doesn't go to the pool. Thankfully she is eating and drinking ok I think. Haven't seen any runny nose signs. I think that's the one who doesn't lay yet although looks biggest.

Ahhh one is definitely breathing heavily. Her tail bobs with each breath. I have a video but its not uploading. Sometimes she has mouth open, and today wasn't that hot. Doesn't go to the pool. Thankfully she is eating and drinking ok I think. Haven't seen any runny nose signs. I think that's the one who doesn't lay yet although looks biggest.
Hmm. Well... She could be egg bound then with the tail bobbing.

@Miss Lydia can you advise on calcium supplements?

If you suspect egg bound the best calcium is calcium gluconate
TSC carries it it's a liquid and she'll need to start with 1ml over something tasty so she gets full dose or you can give it orally. Sometimes one dose will get the egg moving sometimes it takes multiple doses, @Aunt Angus.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...bound-ducks-preliminary.959537/#post-14940303
It took my duckie five doses in a 24 hour period. And if she isn't egg bound, this won't hurt.

And just fyi: to post a video, you need to upload it to a hosting site like YouTube and then insert the link.

I hope she's ok. I'm very sorry you lost your other duckie.

Back
Top Bottom