Duck with bloody back and possible avian influenza

picklestheduck

Obsessed with Animals🦆🐓🐥🐴🐱🐶
Premium Feather Member
Oct 16, 2021
Michigan
Hey yall I have an Indian runner duck who has stopped laying recently and I think she might be molting, but this morning she came out with her back all bloody. I know its mating season, but this seems like a bit much! I brought her in and cleaned her up, and then put her back, only to find her all bloody again. I put her and one of the males who has been getting picked on in a horse trailer for a couple days, but they are back now because the trailer was getting really cold. There is one male who is doing most of the chasing of the other little drake but its mating season so I suspect it will cool down after a while? Any ideas as of what to do for now? Also...I've noticed some sneezing, head shaking, and shivering in the flock....someone in the family let them out to free range a while back and have continued to...and there are some wild ducks and geese around.....does that sound like possible avian influenza? I also noticed the wattles and comb on one of the hens patchy and paler. If so...anything I can do? And if it is and if some die...will they all die? I've been giving them electrolytes, probiotics, and vitamin C. I told my family to absolutely stop letting them out. IF they have it, what can I do for them? (I only got one response on the Emergency/disease forum so I copied and pasted so the formatting is weird, sorry) ALSO: Avian Influenza has been confirmed in a neighboring county.
  • 1648318250928.png
  • 1648318280407.png

• Cheese and Pickles in a trailer.jpeg
  • Cheese Ripped wing 4.jpeg
  • Cheese Ripped wing 3.jpeg
  • Cheese Baby in the pan.jpegCheese Ripped wing 2.jpeg
    1648472234682.png

Hey yall I have an Indian runner duck who has stopped laying recently and I think she might be molting, but this morning she came out with her back all bloody. I know its mating season, but this seems like a bit much! I brought her in and cleaned her up, and then put her back, only to find her all bloody again. I put her and one of the males who has been getting picked on in a horse trailer for a couple days, but they are back now because the trailer was getting really cold. There is one male who is doing most of the chasing of the other little drake but its mating season so I suspect it will cool down after a while? Any ideas as of what to do for now? Also...I've noticed some sneezing, head shaking, and shivering in the flock....someone in the family let them out to free range a while back and have continued to...and there are some wild ducks and geese around.....does that sound like possible avian influenza? I also noticed the wattles and comb on one of the hens patchy and paler. If so...anything I can do? And if it is and if some die...will they all die? I've been giving them electrolytes, probiotics, and vitamin C. I told my family to absolutely stop letting them out. IF they have it, what can I do for them? (I only got one response on the Emergency/disease forum so I copied and pasted so the formatting is weird, sorry) ALSO: Avian Influenza has been confirmed in a neighboring county.
The blood is from broken pin feathers on her wings. I would keep the males away from her.
If you suspect AI, you can get the birds tested by the State.

When my duck broke a pin feather I took her to the vet and they pulled it out. That stopped the bleeding.

Also please do contact your state vet about science influenza. I hope it isn't that. Keep us updated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom