Duck with bow legs

Khyebean

Hatching
Apr 26, 2021
Hi, I just got baby ducklings a couple of weeks ago. I’m a new duck mom and I’ve tried my best to take great care of them but one of the ducklings legs are bowed I read that it could be a niacin deficiency so I started giving them niacin powder in their water to try and help but I also noticed that the food I give them says it has a niacin amount specific for ducks in it. It seems like he doesn’t want to walk as much and I feel horrible for him and I’m working on booking an appointment with a vet but I’d appreciate some help in the mean time

Do you have a video of the duck trying to walk?
In several duck feeds, the niacin content is only 55mg per kilo of feed; while this is suitable for light, to medium weight breeds it is under their recommended amount we would want for heavyweight breeds, particularly Pekins, that should have nearly 70mg of niacin per kilo of feed until they are eight/ten weeks old.
I suggest you continue with niacin supplementation until you can see your vet. There are a few other conditions that can exhibit similar symptoms to a niacin deficiency, so if the improvement is not seen soon, the vet visit would be a good route to take.

Do you have a video of the duck trying to walk?
In several duck feeds, the niacin content is only 55mg per kilo of feed; while this is suitable for light, to medium weight breeds it is under their recommended amount we would want for heavyweight breeds, particularly Pekins, that should have nearly 70mg of niacin per kilo of feed until they are eight/ten weeks old.
I suggest you continue with niacin supplementation until you can see your vet. There are a few other conditions that can exhibit similar symptoms to a niacin deficiency, so if the improvement is not seen soon, the vet visit would be a good route to take.
I can take a video when I get home, the food says it has 25mg I think and I’m not sure about the supplements

Back
Top Bottom