Duck with broken wing

SuburbianFarmChic

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 25, 2017
I’m not sure but I think my horse stepped on my duck and broke her left wing. She is holding it open and dragging it. Otherwise she looks and seems okay.
Is this something I can treat and wrap myself? If so any suggestions how to do this or do I need to take her in to a vet? What would you guys do? Help!
She is Cayuga/khaki Campbell mix

Attachments

• E322D2DA-175E-4C85-B83D-9C53421D1D23.jpeg
    E322D2DA-175E-4C85-B83D-9C53421D1D23.jpeg
    490.3 KB · Views: 27
I am sorry to hear about your duck. A broken wing is definitely going to need a vet. It may be able to heal on its own, but with or without a vet it may never function properly.

Most of my experience with broken wings is with non-releasable birds of prey and care long after their break. They wings never healed. In the long-term we had to clip the wing feathers because the wing often drooped. Occasionally, they would break blood feathers because of this. The clipping help prevent it dragging around and breaking feathers.

Thankyou both for your reply and for your valuable information! The splint manual will be a great asset to have on hand as we have many birds here!
We we did take her in to an emergency vet yesterday who does birds! We were very fortunate.
She did have a broken wing and it was broke in several places. Poor thing! It was so bad that a brace or splint is not going to work. So, she is on pain meds and in a confined area for awhile. If the break gets worse and the bones poke through the skin, then we’ll have to have it amputated. Otherwise, she will have a droopy wing, so the info about clipping the feathers to avoid breaking the blood feathers was so helpful!
Thank you again for the information for now and in the future! Very much appreciated!
Blessings,
Lynn

Thankyou both for your reply and for your valuable information! The splint manual will be a great asset to have on hand as we have many birds here!
We we did take her in to an emergency vet yesterday who does birds! We were very fortunate.
She did have a broken wing and it was broke in several places. Poor thing! It was so bad that a brace or splint is not going to work. So, she is on pain meds and in a confined area for awhile. If the break gets worse and the bones poke through the skin, then we’ll have to have it amputated. Otherwise, she will have a droopy wing, so the info about clipping the feathers to avoid breaking the blood feathers was so helpful!
Thank you again for the information for now and in the future! Very much appreciated!
Blessings,
Lynn
Poor thing. Glad you were able to see a vet. Hopeful it won't need to be amputated.

Back
Top Bottom