Duck with severe infection

Wesvann

Hatching
Apr 25, 2023
Hello all! I am searching for advice for my sickly duck and found this site, I hope I can find some good advice here!

My 5 year old blue runner duck seem to have what seems to be a very severe upper respiratory/eye/ear infection. Her ear is leaking what seems to be puss/blood, her eyes are full of bubbles, she's wheezing, and her face is extremely swollen. I feel terrible that I didn't notice until the infection had gotten this bad.
I know female ducks can get infections like this pretty easily due to the males biting the backs of their necks, so I'm thinking that may be what happened here.

She is not eating but is drinking, she seems disoriented but is semi-active. Id like to know what sort of treatment I should use, and how I should go about it.

Please let me know if there are any other questions and ill do my best to answer them!

Attachments

• 343067521_179630681658281_8783252012304506648_n.jpg
    343067521_179630681658281_8783252012304506648_n.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 23
Hello all! I am searching for advice for my sickly duck and found this site, I hope I can find some good advice here!

My 5 year old blue runner duck seem to have what seems to be a very severe upper respiratory/eye/ear infection. Her ear is leaking what seems to be puss/blood, her eyes are full of bubbles, she's wheezing, and her face is extremely swollen. I feel terrible that I didn't notice until the infection had gotten this bad.
I know female ducks can get infections like this pretty easily due to the males biting the backs of their necks, so I'm thinking that may be what happened here.

She is not eating but is drinking, she seems disoriented but is semi-active. Id like to know what sort of treatment I should use, and how I should go about it.

Please let me know if there are any other questions and ill do my best to answer them!
Hi-try posting this under the duck section as well. I know there are many members who may see your post there quicker.

She needs vet care asap. if that isn't possible then order Baytril and get her on an antibiotic
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10
Start rinsing her eyes out gently with a saline solution made for eyes. [Online recipes]also get Terramycin eye ointment which is for infection. I'd also use a small syringe 1ml and use a saline rise to wash out her ears. Along with using the antibiotic like Baytril. This really does sound serious so since Baytril has to be ordered online if at all possible I'd get her to a vet.
https://greatist.com/health/how-to-make-saline-solution#how-to-make-saline-solution

She needs vet care asap. if that isn't possible then order Baytril and get her on an antibiotic
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10
Start rinsing her eyes out gently with a saline solution made for eyes. [Online recipes]also get Terramycin eye ointment which is for infection. I'd also use a small syringe 1ml and use a saline rise to wash out her ears. Along with using the antibiotic like Baytril. This really does sound serious so since Baytril has to be ordered online if at all possible I'd get her to a vet.
https://greatist.com/health/how-to-make-saline-solution#how-to-make-saline-solution
Unfortunately I have no vets that will see her. I will order the Baytril now and hope it gets here within the next few days

Ill be taking her inside tonight to flush her eyes and ears with saline, to hopefully hold her over until the baytril gets here. I will look for the terramycin as well in the meantime, thank you for the advice

Definitly try for Baytril and Terramycin as Miss Lydia suggested.
Mycoplasma is one of the pathogens that can cause bubbles in the eyes, it’s best treated with Tylosin or Denegard, Tylosin being more effective as it doesn’t cause instant regurgitation.

Baytril os effective against mycoplasma, not as effective as Tylosin but Baytril is highly effective against a much broader range of bacteria than Tylosin.
So if you’re able I would suggest getting both but if not baytril is the best option.

Back
Top Bottom