Duckling aspirated

viggo63

Songster
Apr 30, 2020
I have a 2 week old pekin duckling that I have been nursing back from a leg injury. He's been making great progress and I put him in a very shallow tub of water a few times to help him strengthen the bad leg. Last night, he dunked his head twice and I think he's aspirated. He was fine when I put him back in the brooder, but today he is making that soft clicking noise and seems lethargic. He's eaten and drunk less than usual today and seems weakened. Is there anything I can do for him? I've read on other threads that it may not be fatal, but I'm so frightened for him.

Any help will be much appreciated.

336673702_1215919195976474_3961814033398978530_n.jpg

Thanks for replying. He seems a little better this morning, no clicking at least. He couldn't use his right leg. I think he was crushed by the other ducklings during shipment. I straightened out his toes by taping a guitar pick to his foot for a few days. Now, he can put some weight on it and is using it to walk instead of dragging it behind him. He is getting a niacin supplement.

20230316_075026.jpg

So, the clicking is back now. He's eating and drinking a little on his own, but still weak. As soon as he's done eating he goes right back to his fleece bed and sleeps.

Aww, I'm so sorry! I wonder if you could post a video of him in the emergencies forum - maybe someone has had a similar problem with a duckling before. It sounds like you're doing everything you can for him.

So, the clicking is back now. He's eating and drinking a little on his own, but still weak. As soon as he's done eating he goes right back to his fleece bed and sleeps.
I'm so sorry for your loss :hugs
I'm curious, was the click coming from his chest, or his mouth, with his breathing, or?

Back
Top Bottom