Duckling foot peeling

New duck mommy 2021

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Oct 19, 2021
Medicine Hat , alberta , Canada
Hello
I have a duckling 8 days old today
I hatched him/ her it’s never been outside as it’s winter here. It’s in a clean brooder with puppy pads that get changed regular especially around the water dish. It is a little more dry here this time of year. I did have wood shavings but at day 3 he got a little piece stuck in his nose and it took up late last night to get it out after many baths and lots of head dunks in the water dish. I removed the shavings at day 3
I noticed this morning it has skin peeling or growing on the foot
Looks like shedding as my gecko does
Anyone have this happen before ?

Attachments

• 28B82ACD-AD24-4495-95A4-8363315F9001.jpeg
    28B82ACD-AD24-4495-95A4-8363315F9001.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 35
hello. My ducklings have not experienced this but i think it might occur due to dehydration. Maybe the brooder is a little too hot for them. If they are panting i recommend lowering the temperature. Make sure she gets plenty of water to drink and you can use grass instead since they like digging into it. Also grit would be good. Its skin looks dry I think some water can fix that

Mine are about the same age and are doing it, too. Do you have hard water? I'm thinking it's our hard water. When my older ducks had peeling feet in the winter, I found rubbing a little coconut oil on them helps!

Mine are about the same age and are doing it, too. Do you have hard water? I'm thinking it's our hard water. When my older ducks had peeling feet in the winter, I found rubbing a little coconut oil on them helps!
Hi
Yes we have hard water here
I never thought of that
I had a staggered hatch and each one of them did it on the exact same day of age
It cleared up in a few days and no other issues since

hello. My ducklings have not experienced this but i think it might occur due to dehydration. Maybe the brooder is a little too hot for them. If they are panting i recommend lowering the temperature. Make sure she gets plenty of water to drink and you can use grass instead since they like digging into it. Also grit would be good. Its skin looks dry I think some water can fix that
Sorry for some reason I didn’t see this reply
I had 5 ducklings on a staggered hatch and each one did this at day 8 even the one born 2.5 weeks later.
That makes me think it was just something they did
Lasted a few days and gone never happened again
They had access to drinking water 24/7 a bowl big enough to dunk their heads and they were given 2 baths a day starting at day 3
I don’t use a heat lamp they had a heat plate so it didn’t warm up the pen area just the spot it sits
They have always had a much larger broader then needed so had plenty of room to get away from the heat plate
I didn’t do chick grit until they were 2 weeks when I started to give treats
They have been on chick starter with nutritional yeast added as well as once a day I would give a separate bowl of water with vitamin B complex
They are very healthy ducks and have had no issues other then the foot peeling but it wasn’t bad just a top layer of skin cams off and the new skin under was healthy looking
At age 4 weeks I moved them into a even bigger brooder and moved wood chips back in
As the next comment said hers are doing it too and she has hard water as I do
So maybe that plays a part in it
Could be a Pekin thing as I got my mom older then 8 days so never saw her at that age
My khaki was 8 days when we got him but I never noticed it from him
Im
Only replying now in case others have this issue and look for answers.

Back
Top Bottom