Duckling Gagging - Possible Sour Crop?

BaileyPoole

Chirping
Apr 12, 2020
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Hello everyone,
I have four ducklings, two Pekins and two Rouens, all around 4-5 weeks old. Yesterday I noticed one of my Rouen ducklings appeared to have an extended crop. I'm new to ducks so I didn't know if this was normal or not. I did some researching on here and it seems like it could be either sour crop or an impacted crop. I felt of it as much as she would let me this morning and it felt soft and squishy, not hard like it was impacted. I also noticed this morning that she was opening her bill wide and bobbing her head up and down like she was trying to force something down. We give them lettuce as treats but I usually tear the leafy part off of the stalk and only give them that but a couple days ago she snatched the stalk part out of my hand and got it down before I could get it from her so I'm worried that has something to do with it. Other than that I'm not sure what she could have gotten into. Both of my Rouens are pretty aggressive foragers when they're outside. She is still eating, drinking, pooping, and acting normal right now. I saw her poop this morning and it was watery, but they had just drank and played in their water not long before that. They have free access to food and water all day and night. Should I pick up their food tonight and see how it looks in the morning and go from there? Give extra probiotics? Due to the current COVID-19 conditions, I am trying to avoid a vet visit but there is an avian vet near me if I need to bring her. Any help or advice from the experts is greatly appreciated!

Background info:
They have access to water deep enough to dunk their heads. They are eating Purina duck pellets. They are still inside right now while we are working on their pen but I plan to put them outside full time by next week (although I will miss them being inside with me!). They go outside for a few hours everyday and swim in a big kiddie pool and then I let them explore and forage around while being highly supervised. They probably pick up some grit while outside but I also sprinkle some chick grit on their feed just in case. My other three ducks look normal. I don't think she overeats, all four will feed at the same time and it doesn't seem like she is eating any more than the others.

So, birds don't have teeth so they use grit to "chew" food in their digestive systems

This grit is small rocks they gather naturaly from the ground, you will notice outdoor ducks dig in the ground a lot

Duck feed doesn't require grit to be digested but things like lettuce usually does, So you could quit feeding the ducks anything besides duck feed for awhile. Keep feed away from the gagging duck for the rest of today and see if the crop has shrunk by tonight, if its going to digest whats in its crop it should be gone by tonight. If it doesn't go down then you have issue and we might be able to help you through that

If you are planning on keeping them in for a while longer the best cheap treat is cheap cat food, they can digest that just fine without grit, and its high in protein

Good luck with your duckies!

Thanks for the quick response! I researched like a crazy person before I got them and I thought I was prepared but I guess you never know what will come up. Thank goodness for BYC!

I had no idea they could eat cat food! I will consider that. I was providing grit but maybe not enough? I was sprinkling some on their feed rather than providing free choice. They do eat grass and things when they’re outside and I was giving them lettuce and mealworms as treats. I will try to keep her away from the feed for the day and see what it looks like tonight.

Thanks for the quick response! I researched like a crazy person before I got them and I thought I was prepared but I guess you never know what will come up. Thank goodness for BYC!

I had no idea they could eat cat food! I will consider that. I was providing grit but maybe not enough? I was sprinkling some on their feed rather than providing free choice. They do eat grass and things when they’re outside and I was giving them lettuce and mealworms as treats. I will try to keep her away from the feed for the day and see what it looks like tonight.
Okay, Just wait and see if the crop goes down today then, i didnt realize you were already using grit

Back
Top Bottom