Duckling help

Alexacfreeman

Chirping
Feb 12, 2021
My Duckling won’t stand up on its own and will throw head back and start turning like in circles sometimes backflip type was fine and then all of a sudden it started and it’s happened with a couple of other ducklings I had to they were shipped to me I gave it some drops of niacin mix with water and a little bit of sugar water it’s still chirping a little bit what can I do it’s like laying with its head thrown onto his back

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 9
The head angulation is known as opisthotonus, which can be characterized by backward arching of head and neck; several etiologies have been noted, ranging from infections, viral diseases, hypoglycemia, neurological damage, toxicosis, and nutritional deficiencies, more specifically thiamine (B1), and vitamin E.

For now, house the duckling in a warm quiet area, that's softly padded and has shallow water dishes to prevent aspiration. The other ducklings may pick on her, so watch to ensure none of that behavior is occurring. Starting the bird on a broad poultry vitamin such as poultry cell, or Nutri-Dench would be beneficial if the problem is related to nutrion. Dripping a drop on the side of the duckling's bill, or soaking a cotton swab in the mixture and rubbing along the bill would work.

Hopefully, you would see improvement in providing a broad range of vitamins and supportive care, but if you don't, sadly we are limited in the amount of treatment we can provide with such young birds, due to their small size, and fragility.

Back
Top Bottom