Duckling lump on wing

Kate2402

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2020
apologies for the less-than-great photo, I will try to take a better one but was the best I could get while he's still wet and its easiest to see (please ignore the stain on the towel, it is not blood - just wax from a babybel cheese that found its way into the washing machine!)

So i hatched runner ducks approx 2 weeks ago and now have six ducklings. This little guy (named Rowland) was my only surviving assisted hatch and is now 13days old. He is noticeably much smaller than the other 5 ducklings but is growing and putting on weight and seems relatively healthy.

I keep a special eye on him so maybe I am just worrying too much, but I've noticed he has this little lump in the 'armpit' of his wing, its quite small but has only appeared in the last few days. The baby fluff has come off it but its not really noticable unless its wet. Its hard to tell if its itchy for him as all the ducks tend to clean both armpits with their beaks quite often. Is it anything to worry about?

I've also noticed a weird little black lump at the top of his tail area, it looks a bit like a small blood blister. I dont have a pic as its even harder to see than the wing spot. I am wondering whether it could be adult feathers starting to come through, although the others don't have any signs of this happening to them. Could his feathers be coming in more quickly because hes smaller and needs more warmth or is that ridiculous? What should I expect in way of signs of feather growth?

Thanks in advance 🙂

20200819_114236.jpg

Hello, and welcome to BYC.

The bump that you're seeing near the tail area might be the oil gland ( also known as the uropygial gland). The bump on his wing, could be a feather cyst, but it seems unlikely since he's still a week or two away from developing any real feathers. Has he been let outside recently? If yes, it could be a sting of sorts.

Another picture where the area is slightly wetted down would be great, but as long as its not affecting her too much, and doesn't appear to be growing I'd personally leave it. If you want you could spread a small amount of an antibacterial ointment over it. I say small because antibacterial ointments, are oil based, and when applied too much onto a duckling can affect the little thermoregulatory abilities the feathers have at this stage, and could result in hypothermia.

How does it feel?

Hello, and welcome to BYC.

The bump that you're seeing near the tail area might be the oil gland ( also known as the uropygial gland). The bump on his wing, could be a feather cyst, but it seems unlikely since he's still a week or two away from developing any real feathers. Has he been let outside recently? If yes, it could be a sting of sorts.

Another picture where the area is slightly wetted down would be great, but as long as its not affecting her too much, and doesn't appear to be growing I'd personally leave it. If you want you could spread a small amount of an antibacterial ointment over it. I say small because antibacterial ointments, are oil based, and when applied too much onto a duckling can affect the little thermoregulatory abilities the feathers have at this stage, and could result in hypothermia.

How does it feel?

Thank you so much for this reply, really reassuring. Glad to hear the tail thing is normal - its just hard because everything is so visible on Rowland as hes got a bit less fluff than the others.

He has spent a little bit of time outside over the last 2 days as the weather here has been mild and they're starting to need more space outside the brooder - hoping this is OK, they certainly seemed happy about it! There have been a few wasps around so I suppose he could have been stung by one of them?! (If wasps even sting ducks?!)

I am so happy to leave it, my rational mind thinks that its likely something that will clear up on its own but just wanted to check there isn't any kind of disease that would show up in this way. Phew! I think hypothermia is a much bigger risk for him than whatever this little lump is so I will just keep an eye on it for now. Thanks again.

Also, I noticed you used both 'her' in your message - out of curiosity is this because you think she is more likely to be female, or thats just how you happened to word it? I'm under the impression that they are too young to sex yet but I am curious to find out.

Back
Top Bottom