Duckling not walking

BlueO

Chirping
Nov 8, 2023
So we just hatched a duckling and there’s one more on the way. Other ducklings I’ve hatched started walking within an hour or two. But this one has not. It hatched at 4 AM and now it’s 11. It hardly tries to walk so I set it on the ground and it just sits there I’ll move away and it still sits there, and eventually starts peeping. It’s legs don’t seem to bend all the way. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

thank you.

I will tag @Miss Lydia for help. I would get some b complex vitamins with riboflavin and niacin.They have liquid ones in feed stores and tablets in most stores and pharmacies that sell vitamins. If you already have something like Poultry Cell vitamins give several drops of that.

@BlueO did you help the duckling at all during hatch? helping can set them back some but they usually recover. It's so young to be set out on the ground I would be worried about it chilling. If you decide to try some liquid B complex or poultry cell just dribble it along the bill to start and once it begins drinking then add to the water by directions.

Can you gently bend the legs down in normal position? for some reason we are seeing slipped tendons in some of the ducklings being hatched here on BYC.

Last edited:
@BlueO did you help the duckling at all during hatch? helping can set them back some but they usually recover. It's so young to be set out on the ground I would be worried about it chilling. If you decide to try some liquid B complex or poultry cell just dribble it along the bill to start and once it begins drinking then add to the water by directions.

Can you gently bend the legs down in normal position? for some reason we are seeing slipped tendons in some of the ducklings being hatched here on BYC.
I did have to help with hatch. I had a lot of problems this time, for some reason had an egg turned gray, and then die. The second one just hatched and seems to be doing good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 3
I did have to help with hatch. I had a lot of problems this time, for some reason had an egg turned gray, and then die. The second one just hatched and seems to be doing good.
Is this the one having problems?
Do you have Poultry cell or Nutri Drench or Liquid B complex if you do you could try giving it a little a few drops right inside the bill making sure it swallows after each drop or just along the outside of the bill. You just don't want to shoot it down into the bill which could cause it to aspirate

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom