Duckling Outside Tempatures

Lazlo Icebe

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2023
Hi all!! I really appreciate everything I have read here but one question I have not been able to find the answer to. I look up tempatures for duckling to go outside pretty clean cut, but do not fall in my category. Every trend is people asking with really lows. My day time right to is close to 100, nights are about 65. Mine are at 5 weeks old, cant get temps in my house lower than 75. Is it safe to put 5 week old outside its a low of 65 if I can’t accurate them to those highs in my house? Thank you you all for all for any input.

BTW, the set up is an insulated house with savings and straw, leading to a protected out pen. It can get windy at times but shouldn’t be any drafts inside how I have it set up.

At 5 weeks they are ready to live outside but temps of 100 is in my opinion going to maybe hot and stressful they will need a pool to sit in the water to stay cool and can you watch them and bring them inside if they look stressed? Is their house and the run in deep shade ? Deep shade makes a big difference that’s like under a big tree with many layers of leaves. You can feel the difference when you are outside under a little bit of shade versus deep shade where it actually feels a lot better.
When it gets that hot here, I give them frozen watermelon bits and I’ll add ice to their water buckets too I also come out in the hottest part of the day and hose the roof of their house and some of the ground if it’s dry but first, I run all the hot water out of the hose, pointed out of my yard then I use the cool water in the duck area. I also dump and refill their pools twice a day in that kind of heat.

I recently transitioned two similar aged ducklings outside. I suggest you do it gradually. I started with just the morning for an hour and gradually increased it. Like you, I was more worried about the high temperatures near 100 so they spent most of the afternoons indoors. Like others have mentioned, water and deep shade are needed as well.

Thank you for the advice!! Yes, the run has deep shade. Part is under a large weeping willow With cool grass. It got up to 105 this last week so I put off going out at all. This week will be under 100 with lows between 63 and 67 night. My house has been a steady 78 but have been taking them out for a bit when it’s been around 95. Hopefully with the new temps they will be ok 24/7. Any thoughts are always appreciated!!

Back
Top Bottom