Duckling Panting

Abby4w

Hatching
Jul 20, 2020
My 3 week only Muscovy is panting a lot. I’ve been using her heat lamp in cycles to not overheat her once the panting started. But even when she was trying to cuddle into my lap that caused her to start panting. Should I be worried about this? I also don’t like that her temperature is fluctuating so much with the light being on and off. Is this ok? Sometimes her nose runs as well and I can hear a slight clicking noise when she breathes. It’s really worrying me. She’s my first duck and she’s a rescue, I want to make sure she’s happy and healthy.

Sorry to hear your little Muscovy is panting. Sometimes it can mean overheated although I've not seen it as often in my Muscovy ducklings. I usually keep their brooder at 85 to start with and drop 5* every week thereafter till their brooder is the same temp as housing they are in. By then they don't need heat, always put the heat lamp at one end so they can move away if they get too warm.
The draining and clicking is worrisome. What type of waterer are you using and is a vet an option since the duckling may need an antibiotic. Pictures or video of the duckling and how it's breathing and info on brooder and feed ect.

Back
Top Bottom