Ducks and Chickens together

FlockOStephany

Hatching
Feb 4, 2021
My two hens, Laverne and Shirley, live in a castle converted playscape coop with a female Muscovia Madonna and male Mallard Rodman. The hens are usually large and in charge, Madonna and Rodman were brought in later. Madonna has more confidence lately. Rodman is super skittish and ladies rule. He has been trying to mate with Madonna in the kiddie pool pond...so that has started. Just wondering today Shirley seems out of sorts and Madonna is following her around with Rodman in tow. Madonna will not leave her alone. She's kind of bullying her and biting her which never happened before. She's corralling her and getting her in corners. Why this new found confidence? Worried Rodman tried to mate with Shirley and she's not doing well. Should I put them in separate sleeping quarters?

Duck breeding season is starting so hormone levels are ramping up for both males and females. I would make sure your chickens have lots of places to get away from the ducks. And if the coop doesn't allow enough room for them to get away easily, then yes I would provide separate sleeping quarters.

Back
Top Bottom