Ducks and coops?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
I'm curious if your ducks still lay eggs with no coop?

Mine had resisted going in enclosed cages. So I'd not pressed the coop issue.

But I'm wondering what the egg production looks like in comparison with no coop versus cook with ducks? (Not chickens...)

My ducks are opportunists. If they want to lay before I want to let them out of the coop, they lay in there. Otherwise, they will lay almost anywhere in the yard --sometimes right in the middle of the driveway. They've also laid under rose bushes, in the hay shed, even in their kiddie pool full of water.

I prefer to have them lay in the coop because it's much less work for me.

They will lay anywhere. But, you have to make them go into a coop if you want them cooped at night. It takes a few days, but they will learn the routine and be waiting for you to pen them up. It takes a bit of patience and consistency. I don't feel any run is safe, so mine get locked up at night.
Mine have learned the coop is safe and lay eggs in the coop.

I have a variety of breeds - everyone will happily lay in the coop except for my mallards who prefer to fly out of their pen and find a more natural hiding place to lay. It's like an easter egg hunt to find their eggs. I prefer to just collect them from the coop every morning :)

Back
Top Bottom