Ducks and the heat

Galaxyfalcon

Songster
May 25, 2020
Eastern WA
Hello!

We recently had a burst of hot weather here, coming out of pretty cool spring. We went from days of about 60F earlier this week to about 90F today. The ducks are out in the lawn and I've noticed that a few of them look pretty hot. Sitting with eyes closed, a couple have heads extended lightly panting. I'm not sure how to tell the difference between ducks doing normal temperature regulating (normal panting in heat) vs actual heat exhaustion. Most of them have access to kiddie pool water if they want to take a dip. One of my girls is being treated after a bumble surgery, so she is in the shade under our willow tree and has water but not water to bathe in. She looks the hottest.

Is some light panting and some posture okay and normal for how they deal with heat?

edit: they're up rooting around/getting food/water right now but they look pretty hot when they sit down for a duck nap.

Last edited:
Hello!

We recently had a burst of hot weather here, coming out of pretty cool spring. We went from days of about 60F earlier this week to about 90F today. The ducks are out in the lawn and I've noticed that a few of them look pretty hot. Sitting with eyes closed, a couple have heads extended lightly panting. I'm not sure how to tell the difference between ducks doing normal temperature regulating (normal panting in heat) vs actual heat exhaustion. Most of them have access to kiddie pool water if they want to take a dip. One of my girls is being treated after a bumble surgery, so she is in the shade under our willow tree and has water but not water to bathe in. She looks the hottest.

Is some light panting and some posture okay and normal for how they deal with heat?

edit: they're up rooting around/getting food/water right now but they look pretty hot when they sit down for a duck nap.
It helps if the water is in the shade, and depends on the size of the pool how often to change the water.

I try to run fresh water into my pond in the middle of the day whenever possible, but sometimes i go a week before i can change the water or between rain and they are okay just sitting in the shade. Lots of water to drink and splash is key, and my ducks dont like hot water in the sun.

Last week we had temps up in the high 90s. I have two kiddie pools -- one in the shade and one that gets some afternoon sun. I had to refill the second with cold water about 2pm each day as it was getting very warm and not offering a cool respite to the two ducks in the pen with it. The ducks in the pen have shade to get into all day but I cannot provide full shade to the kiddie pool.

Even when the temps are in the 100s, I have not had to cool down the kiddie pools in the shade -- mine and one at my son's house. The water warms up but not unbearably so.

Our free ranging ducks have lots of cooler, shady places to hide in, which my son's do, but mine prefer to lie on the concrete steps by my north-facing patio doors when it is hot. They don't normally lie but they do when it is hot, so I assume they get some relief from the cooler concrete.

Mouth breathing -- like in dogs -- is normal for ducks in hot weather

Ducks don't sweat so panting is the equivalent to us sweating on a hot day to cool down. As others have said as long as they have access to water and shade they will be fine. My ducks have been in weather up to 109 degrees with little humidity and 100 degrees with 90% humidity all did just fine. On the extra hot days I will hose them off on the mist setting every hour or so for a couple minutes, throw ice in their pond, add ice to their water buckets and feed them frozen peas. I look like a nut at the grocery store when I see hot days on the forecast. I'm there with a grocery cart full of peas for my ducks, melons to freeze for the chickens, bags of ice and of course tequila and limes for my margaritas😂

My little wimps start panting and resting in the shade when it gets near 70. Eventually they won't come into the sun no matter what. Like others say I give them fresh cool water multiple times daily when I can, and in the shade when possible. I hang these shade providing permeable tarp things over their aviary in the summer. I got them at Costco, they are intended to provide shade for humans. I also give them ice in their pools and buckets and cool tomatoes.

I'm not sure when heat exhaustion sets in. I suspect if your ducks were to get increased symptoms? Wobbling, refusing favorite snacks, vomiting? I'm guessing.

https://avianandexoticvets.com/dangers-of-heat-stroke-in-exotic-pets
"Signs of heat-stroke include: Rapid Breathing, Lethargy , Refusing food, Lack of or decreased droppings , Hyperthermia (increased body temperature), Inability to perch (birds/some reptiles), Ears/feet abnormally hot to the touch (rabbits/rodents), Ataxia (wobbly and unbalanced) Collapse."

Okay good to hear everyone else chime in. I'm sometimes not at home during the hottest parts of the day due to work unfortunately but most of our flock LOVE being sprayed down with the hose. We have a big willow tree and a covered duck run so there's a lot of shade along with pools of water I top off with cold water on breaks during the day. They of course get frozen peas too!

We just got an ice maker and are looking forward to shoveling cups of ice into their water to play with. They love munching on and crunching ice so that will be something to look forward to.

I'm always just nervous when I see them closing their eyes and panting in the shade. I'm usually thinking, "get in the water you guys!"

Back
Top Bottom