Ducks light under over bite

gar1967

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2015
Northeastern Ontario
So, my little one that had the crack on its beak has a different bill than the others.
The others have a slight overlap bill on top, but this little gaffer has an overlap bill on the bottom?
Still eating and drinking well although.
Also, I'm hearing the odd sneeze; very faint. I have the temp set at 29-30C. I'm in Northern Ontario which is cold temperatures in the winter. But, it is milder out today -10C
I seem to be fretting a lot. I just want to make sure my little ones are healthy and stay that way.

So, my little one that had the crack on its beak has a different bill than the others.
The others have a slight overlap bill on top, but this little gaffer has an overlap bill on the bottom?
Still eating and drinking well although.
Also, I'm hearing the odd sneeze; very faint. I have the temp set at 29-30C. I'm in Northern Ontario which is cold temperatures in the winter. But, it is milder out today -10C
I seem to be fretting a lot. I just want to make sure my little ones are healthy and stay that way.
How old is she, @gar1967?

I have a pekin drake that is just about 2 years old that has a deformed bill from a raccoon attack. The end third of his upper beak, including his bean, is missing and he has a lot of scar tissue that deforms the endof his bill so that his tongue shows. He manages almost everything by himself now: eating weeds he is as good as the other ducks; he feeds from a deep food bowl -- he has his own so I know he is eating enough -- successfully, and he enjoys foraging with gusto so I assume he is catching grubs as he burrows through the leaf mold. The only think he canndo without help is eat peas. I have to fee him from a long tapered plasti cup as he "plows" the peas and they get pushed over the side of a bowl. He can't pick up individual peas from the ground quickly enough as the other ducks get them first. So I am thinking a protruding unde jaw will not harm your girl.

I am assuming that the overlap in your duck isn't enough to show her tongue. But even if she does, like mine, she will still be able to eat her pellets/crumbles. Try watching her feeding -- give her her own bowl and temporarily separate her from the others for 24 hours so that you can monitor how much she eats. If she eats her pellets/crumbles OK you have no worries. You can hand feed her treats if needbe

How old is she, @gar1967?

I have a pekin drake that is just about 2 years old that has a deformed bill from a raccoon attack. The end third of his upper beak, including his bean, is missing and he has a lot of scar tissue that deforms the endof his bill so that his tongue shows. He manages almost everything by himself now: eating weeds he is as good as the other ducks; he feeds from a deep food bowl -- he has his own so I know he is eating enough -- successfully, and he enjoys foraging with gusto so I assume he is catching grubs as he burrows through the leaf mold. The only think he canndo without help is eat peas. I have to fee him from a long tapered plasti cup as he "plows" the peas and they get pushed over the side of a bowl. He can't pick up individual peas from the ground quickly enough as the other ducks get them first. So I am thinking a protruding unde jaw will not harm your girl.

I am assuming that the overlap in your duck isn't enough to show her tongue. But even if she does, like mine, she will still be able to eat her pellets/crumbles. Try watching her feeding -- give her her own bowl and temporarily separate her from the others for 24 hours so that you can monitor how much she eats. If she eats her pellets/crumbles OK you have no worries. You can hand feed her treats if needbe
They are 1 week old today. It's eating and drinking lots, doesn't seem to be bothersome. It was born with it. I attached a photo to show you. Am I seeing a tongue? None of the others have a similar bill.

Attachments

• 20230310_125224[1].jpg
    20230310_125224[1].jpg
    416 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230309_144243[1].jpg
    20230309_144243[1].jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom