Ducks pipping, cracked egg but no hole

DuckDaddy13

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2021
Hello
First time hatching and I know I probabaly shouldn’t intervene but now I’m worrying because we woke up and saw cracks this morning at 9am along with some peeps last night before we went to bed last night. It’s day 2 of lockdown. Heat is 99 and humidity between 70-75 increased from 50-55 during incubation. I’m worrying they started cracking the shell and are running out of oxygen. Wondering how long they should have a cracked shell before a complete pip hole. Thanks!
90AF7022-37CB-49FF-AD4E-2F26FC328FB2.jpeg

How did this go? My first two (chickens) are the same way. No hole, just cracked like the chick punched it from the inside. Noticed it about 8 hours ago. This is day 21 & my son says he can hear peeps so they are still alive. Just wondering if I should put a hole or if they are getting enough air from the crack.

They all made it! It was 24 hours of just cracked little area until they started working more. One even took over 30 hours to get zipping but it was pain staking waiting but I guess the cracks let enough oxygen in to keep them alive

Yah both hatched Saturday around 7am. 27 out of 32 eggs hatched. The last one started zipping monday 4 am & stopped. Assisted successfully but she was born with splayed legs. Braces worked & she/he is fine. I think the next batch will be less stessful after this experience (knock on wood). Thanks for asking.

That's great to hear! I was thinking the same thing... next time I won't freak about the cracked pip and just let them do their thing... while I have some beers and stare at the incubator intensely... hoping I'll be less stressed tho haha! Here are our little crappers.. just sold 4 and decided to keep 3

Back
Top Bottom