Ducks too cold?

Lilybljm

Songster
6 Years
Jul 11, 2017
I have two 3 month old ducks that lived indoors for their first two months, lived in a 40-50 degree garage for the the third month, and only a few days ago I moved them into the coop (in a separate area, so they wouldn’t swim in the pool with the big ducks, as their preen glands aren’t fully developed). Its been 35-50 degrees outside and no lower, but tonight it’s dropped to 27. They seem to be fine, but will only walk if I stand them up and are letting me pick them up with no fight, which they are rarely a fan of. I felt their feet and they didn’t feel cold at all, nor did their feathers, but I’m still paranoid. Does anyone know what temp is too cold for ducks their age? I can’t find anything on it anywhere. One was shivering a little when I picked her up, but that’s typical for her when she’s comfortable or angry as far as I’ve seen, so it’s probably not too relevant (I hope).

I don't know about ducks that age, but since I would imagine they are fully feathered, I would think they will be okay.

My adult runner ducks actually INSIST on being released from their nighttime shelter even when it's a few degrees below zero -- like yesterday. They do spend more time "laying down," on the ground with their feet tucked underneath, rather than walking about. But the cold doesn't seem to bother them at all.

In fact, I run out several times a day throughout the winter to make sure everyone's water dishes aren't frozen, and the goofy runners not only drink, they pile into the dish for a quick bath.

Hope your babies are doing okay.

I have never had ducklings in those temps but when mama hatched they are much hardier since mama gets them out and around they acclimate pretty quick mine have been in temps in the 40's and did just fine. I did bring mama and ducklings in over a few days when we had a cold snap in the 20's pass through.

I don't know about ducks that age, but since I would imagine they are fully feathered, I would think they will be okay.

My adult runner ducks actually INSIST on being released from their nighttime shelter even when it's a few degrees below zero -- like yesterday. They do spend more time "laying down," on the ground with their feet tucked underneath, rather than walking about. But the cold doesn't seem to bother them at all.

In fact, I run out several times a day throughout the winter to make sure everyone's water dishes aren't frozen, and the goofy runners not only drink, they pile into the dish for a quick bath.

Hope your babies are doing okay.
Yeah, I checked on the babies every hour or so until five AM and they seemed a little chilly but fine. The adults were in the pool every time I went out there. They managed to keep it from freezing. I don’t know how they do it 🥶. Thanks everyone who replied.

Back
Top Bottom