Ducks

AShelDuck1

Chirping
Jun 9, 2023
Oklahoma
So with our new bath of ducks we were planning on eating a few, and keeping some to make new ducks and eggs.

My question...

How do you determine which ones are to be eaten, which ones are for breeding/eggs?

I'm sorry if you guys are all just pet duck people. Lol.

So with our new bath of ducks we were planning on eating a few, and keeping some to make new ducks and eggs.

My question...

How do you determine which ones are to be eaten, which ones are for breeding/eggs?

I pick the biggest ducks for food and the smaller ones for eggs.

My question...

What type of ducks do you have?
I generally pick the drakes for eating and then leave one or two for breeding, depending on flock size. If there is a drake with features you like, you can pick it for breeding with some hopes that the ducklings have the same features.

What type of ducks do you have?
I generally pick the drakes for eating and then leave one or two for breeding, depending on flock size. If there is a drake with features you like, you can pick it for breeding with some hopes that the ducklings have the same features.
From the new batch of ducks we got at two different Tractor Supply stores ( we usually buy from a neighbor but we were worried we needed more bio-diversity). They were just Tractor Supply variety ducks.

We have 14 total.
I have two mixed breeds that are our current egg layers. One of the mix breeds is named Baby and she looks like either a Buff or Saxony. The other is Joy and she's a black duck with white spots. I have no clue what she could possibly be. Definitely not eating these two. Unless we have new egg producers. They will be a year old soon.
We have two Cayugas. I saw one with a tail feather that looks like it might start curling! Yay!
There's one that is probably an Appleyard I call him Fabio. Not 100 % if he is a male but he doesn't quack it's like a muted quack. He looks pretty meaty and awesome. I really like him. He might be one I keep for breeding.
Rouen maybe like 4 of them (or similar breed)
Buff Orpington or Saxony maybe like 5 of them <I heard a muted quack amongst this crew.

The new 12 will be 8 weeks on the 21st.

I have Pekins and use them for their dual purpose nature. I picked my drake for his features but also his personality (he's great with the girls and good to humans) and culled his brothers who were over aggressive with the girls. Going forward i kept all females and culled any males. When i have sufficient females i keep based on physical traits first then personality. Most often i'll cull the larger and smaller ones and keep the medium sized ones. I feel the larger ones will have health issues due to size and i don't want to breed smaller ones if i'm trying to feed my family.

I have Pekins and use them for their dual purpose nature. I picked my drake for his features but also his personality (he's great with the girls and good to humans) and culled his brothers who were over aggressive with the girls. Going forward i kept all females and culled any males. When i have sufficient females i keep based on physical traits first then personality. Most often i'll cull the larger and smaller ones and keep the medium sized ones. I feel the larger ones will have health issues due to size and i don't want to breed smaller ones if i'm trying to feed my family.
I kind of wish I had Pekin. But I saved money with the assorted ducks. But they are so big and fluffy looking!

Back
Top Bottom