E-Z Frame kits for chicken run

Barb Root Hinkkanen

Songster
6 Years
Aug 19, 2017
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Hello, Chicken Lovers,

I am looking for advice and suggestions... All suggestions will be appreciated.

I am about to begin on a new and improved coop and run for my chirpies. I am looking at options. I am leaning towards building a kit shed for their coop and the run with an E-Z framing kit with the brackets. The brackets are for 2x2 lumber, on 24" centers. I would add additional bracing between studs and am thinking of using 2x4s for that bracing. It will be painted with exterior grade paint before it goes together. I will use 1/2" hardware cloth on walls of run and chicken wire for part of the top, while covering half with a metal roof. The top will also be on 24 inch centers.

I'm pretty construction savvy, so, my little old 67 year old self will be building it. I love pounding nails!

After reading all the posts on here and other places online, it will have mostly sand for the bedding, with a portion being wood chips so it will attract bugs and worms. There will be a nice size area for a chicken bath, and a fun play set for them to play on.

My current plan is to build an 8x12 or 10x10 shed, {with a loft}, divide it and have half for my flock and half for storing their necessities and gardening tools. The first part of the run will be 10x20. In my mind and in pictures, they will eventually be living in a chicken town...Currently there are four chickens living here in Little Wendigo. When I lost my Ameracauna to a coon a few weeks ago, I went to get a sister for Miss Tillie and came home with three juveniles: one Jubilee Orpington hen, and a pair of German Beilefelders. I really want some blue eggs.

As soon as I decide exactly how to protect and house my sweet feathered friends, I will begin.

I've also looked at the EZ frame coops.....I do think that $150-$300 is a bit too expensive for just fasteners. It would be different if it came with the lumber. All the rest of that sounds great! Coincidentally I was also planning on naming one of my hens Tillie. Good luck with your coop!

I'm pretty construction savvy, so, my little old 67 year old self will be building it. I love pounding nails!
Consider building from scratch then?
The kit is pricey, keeping everything plumb and square might be an issue, finding good and straight 2x2's might be a challenge, and it would probably need bracing, exterior sheathing would stiffen it up pretty good I would think.

Kreg pocket screws are my friend. They now have HD outdoor screws made for building with dimensional lumber. A bit pricy but cheaper than those brackets.

JT
Would you use kreg joinery on a std stud built shed...where the studs are perpendicular to the wall rather than inline?

Consider building from scratch then?
The kit is pricey, keeping everything plumb and square might be an issue, finding good and straight 2x2's might be a challenge, and it would probably need bracing, exterior sheathing would stiffen it up pretty good I would think.
Thank you; yes, it would be stick built. I have a few levels and a square, too!

Thanks; I will check them out. Are they available at Lowe's or Home Depot?

I get mine from Menards just because the store is closer than Home Depot and 60 miles closer than Lowes. I'd assume both of them would have them. You might get a deer in the headlights look when you ask for pocket screws unless they already know what they are... sometimes mentioning Kreg screws does the trick. They are usually not with the other screws. I ordered my Kreg kit from https://www.woodcraft.com// because they had a special going and included the case for free. Another place to check is https://www.toolnut.com/

JT

Back
Top Bottom