Early Release?

newb1rdmom

Chirping
Jul 16, 2020
So, I got my Guineas back in late July early August so they’re only about 3 1/2 to 4 months old. I know you’re supposed to keep them pinned up for at least 6 months so they get used to you, their environment, etc. Basically helps prevent them from running off. However, my grandparents are wanting to get some more baby chicks and feel the guineas are outgrowing their pen so they wanted to let them out at the end of this month/early next month. I absolutely dislike this idea because I don’t want to release them early but I also understand why they want to. We have a flock of older guineas who have been free range for several years now and they’ve been coming over to the pen with the younger ones almost every day the past month or two. I’m wondering if we do happen to release them early would they flock together and thus help prevent the younger ones from leaving or will they have territorial fights and run the younger ones off if they’re not old enough/used to the area enough?

So, I got my Guineas back in late July early August so they’re only about 3 1/2 to 4 months old. I know you’re supposed to keep them pinned up for at least 6 months so they get used to you, their environment, etc. Basically helps prevent them from running off. However, my grandparents are wanting to get some more baby chicks and feel the guineas are outgrowing their pen so they wanted to let them out at the end of this month/early next month. I absolutely dislike this idea because I don’t want to release them early but I also understand why they want to. We have a flock of older guineas who have been free range for several years now and they’ve been coming over to the pen with the younger ones almost every day the past month or two. I’m wondering if we do happen to release them early would they flock together and thus help prevent the younger ones from leaving or will they have territorial fights and run the younger ones off if they’re not old enough/used to the area enough?
If you bring in adult guineas, they need to be penned up for a minimum of 6 weeks so they understand that this is their new home.

If you start with keets, once they are fully feathered and acclimated to the ambient temperature, they can be released.

I think it is best to release a few at a time so the others will call them back if they venture too far away.

If the adults are not attacking the cage the young ones are in, it is safe to start releasing them.

Mine would've killed each other way before 6 months. As was already suggested, let out a couple at a time until they're all acclimated. I also gave mine meal worms ONLY inside the coop. I would call them back in with a bell and then give the worms. They learned really quick that the bell and coop meant yummies.
Keets will start fighting if they can't dig for bugs and get their energy out. Getting them out of the coop helps immensely with that.

Back
Top Bottom