Easter Egger ... Pullet or Cockerel?

ZooAtHome

Songster
Jun 7, 2018
NW Oregon
I've been trying to resist asking this yet, because Nutmeg is only 4-ish weeks old and I know that is very early to determine sex. I also understand that Easter Eggers can be difficult because of all the variations in coloring. She came from an Easter Egger pullet bin, but I do realize that vent sexing is not 100% accurate. I believe she is your typical Easter Egger, as in an Ameraucana (sp?) crossed with something else. The last couple of days I've noticed the emergence of some rust-colored feathers on her wings and shoulders and now I just have to ask: Is this an indication that "she" is actually a cockerel or is it still possible she is a pullet? :confused:

Cinnamon, the Cream Legbar cross (no Ameraucana) in the background of the first image, has similar feathering and is also developing these same colored feathers on her wings and shoulders. Since she does not have the Legbar's telltale cockerel dot on her head, I believe she is likely a pullet, which has me hoping that Nutmeg might be a pullet as well, even though their breed composition is different.

Nutmeg is the darker chick in the foreground of the image below and the one I am asking about.
Nutmeg-4248.jpg

Nutmeg on the perch. If you look closely, you can see that the same rust colored feathers are starting to come in on her breast as well, if that matters at all. (In the background, on the left, you can see another Cream Legbar cross chick, this one with the cockerel dot on his head.)
Nutmeg-4241.jpg

Nutmeg showing the same rust color on her hackle and down into her shoulders. The patch on her wing is really visible here and is what started me wondering.
Nutmeg-4230.jpg

In this image, you can see Nutmeg's comb. It does not say cockerel to me, but I am so new at this I could easily be wrong, especially this young.
Nutmeg-4204.jpg

Thanks in advance for any input. I'm not expecting a definitive answer here and expect I will have to wait awhile to know for certain, but I am curious about thoughts from those of you more experienced than I am. These are my first chicks and there is so much to learn and figure out. If nothing else, we can all make our guesses and then see who was right in a few weeks. ;)

I’d guess pullet! My Easter Eggers are also 4 weeks old and their combs look bigger and more defined. Even my EE that I’m thinking is a pullet has a bigger comb than your girl! She’s beautiful(and I love her name!)

Thanks, everyone. I completely expect to be surprised by at least one other cockerel besides my CL cross with the head spot, but I am really hoping Nutmeg is a pullet. She is one of my favorites and I'm not really set up to keep multiple roosters (yet). I know it's still too early to be certain, but I feel reassured now. I can rest a little easier as I wait for the rest of her feathers to come in.

I’d guess pullet! My Easter Eggers are also 4 weeks old and their combs look bigger and more defined. Even my EE that I’m thinking is a pullet has a bigger comb than your girl! She’s beautiful(and I love her name!)

Thank you! I've started calling her "Meg" for short and that really doesn't work well for a boy, so hoping everyone here is right about her being a pullet. :fl

View attachment 1760805 here is my Easter Egger pullet a few weeks older than yours. It's okay to have the red if it's evenly distributed.

This photo really helped, thank you! The way Nutmeg is feathering out, I can totally see her ending up similar to this. What a beauty, too! :love

Back
Top Bottom